LaunchBox Community Forums

Reicast Core - No audio and games WAY too fast

ras2a

Hi guys,

I've downloaded the Reicast core, placed the 'DC' folder under 'SYSTEM' and ensured BIOS files are present. Can games running so that's fine, but there is no audio and games are running far too fast.

I see there is an 'emu.cfg' file within the 'DC' folder and I've tried updating the 'LimitFPS' line to the following

aica.LimitFPS=60

But this makes no difference and games still run far too fast

Do you guys know a way around the above? I've tried googling, but no-one specifically mentions how to edit the emu.cfg file and/or where it's supposed to be placed for RetroArch to read it properly for the Reicast core

Cheers guys

Craig

Not sure if that emu.cfg file is used in retroarch or not.  I don't have that file in my dc folder, and it works fine for me in retroarch. Typically, if you want to adjust core options, you get into a game using that core, press whatever key you have set in retroarch to bring you back to it's menu, then go into the options.  From there you can set all the available options for that core.  I checked and I didn't see anything specific to fps, but it might be names something different.  This page (https://docs.libretro.com/library/reicast/) lists all the core options that are available to be changed in retroarch.  Hope this helps.

Thanks mate, I've tried deleting the core and redownloading the .dll file for that core - makes no difference and emulation is still way too fast/no sound. I'd already previously tried tweaking the core options, but no change. Hmm, I'm about ready to give up and use Demul or NullDC, but I prefer core options if possible so that I can use all the lovely overlays/shaders :(

Do you mind me asking what version of RetroArch you're using? I'm still on 1.7.0

Cheers

Craig

I'm on the latest nightly .. 1.7.6 I believe.  Perhaps the bios files in your dc folder you have is not the correct dump?  Check the checksum to make sure it matches what the libretro docs ask for https://docs.libretro.com/library/reicast/ (pasted below for quick reference):

Filename Description md5sum
dc/dc_boot.bin Dreamcast BIOS - Requried e10c53c2f8b90bab96ead2d368858623
dc/dc_flash.bin Date/Time/Language - Required 0a93f7940c455905bea6e392dfde92a4
dc/naomi.bin NAOMI Bios - Optional/Required for NAOMI Games 3bffafac42a7767d8dcecf771f5552ba
Edited by CDBlue

Hmm.. I'm gonna try updating my instance of RetroArch now. Do you have a 'reicast'  folder within your 'RetroArch\config\' directory... see below. I have a file in there called 'Reicast.cfg' - output below (this must have been autogenerated when core was downloaded)

image.thumb.png.5b702ef67af13cdc6814c28fa9094154.pngDo you mind checking yours to see if you have any other config/cfg files that potentially might have some pertinent settings in?

thanks a lot bud

Craig

I have no reicast folder in my config folder in retroarch.  I believe that's only there if you changed core settings, which apparently I haven't.  I just used the stock settings.. just make sure you have the correct bios files and maybe update to the latest retroarch.  My guess though is that it's a retroarch versioning issue.  Likely the most recent version of the core was made to work with the most recent version of retroarch.  Perhaps updating that will fix your issues.

Good call... just updating RetroArch now and will redownload the core. I'll also delete the Reicast folder and emu.cfg file. I believe my BIOS files are in the right location 'system\dc' because I can actually load games

Thanks a lot mate, I'll report back once I've updated and re-tested

Cheers
Craig

Oh well, tried updating RetroArch (made sure to download only the _retroarch & redist versions) - copied over my RetroArch folder (made sure to backup first) and tested a Dreamcast game... wouldn't even boot dreamcast games at all anymore, regardless of updating the Reicast core. New version of RetroArch also appears to have botched my shader set ups so I restored my entire RetroArch folder back to the original version and everything is fine again.

Weird... may just go with using NullDC/Demul etc..

Thanks anyway
Craig

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure.  All the threads that I've read online where people reported this type of issue all seem to have the same root cause, which is either an older core or an older version of Retroarch.  Eg. make sure you're running the latest version of Retroarch, and have the latest version of the core installed.  If things still do not work, and you do have the correct bios files needed and installed in your system/dc folder, then I'm not quite sure what might be another of the causes :(  FYI, there is a very good stand-alone emulator for Dreamcast games, called Redream (https://redream.io/) which you might want to look into if you can't get this working via Retroarch.  The only difference between the free version and the paid version is that you cannot upscale with the free version.  But, truth be told, most dreamcast games look ok still in their native resolution unless you're playing on a really large monitor.  If you are, or you prefer to upscale just because you can, then you can always invest the small fee the developer of Redream is asking for (I believe it's a one-time fee of $5, but not 100% sure)

Edit: There's also always other good stand-alone Dreamcast emulators that do allow upscaling and are 100% free, such as Demul (http://demul.emulation64.com/). The main reason I listed Redream first is that it is in very active developement, while others such as Demul are not as active in that regard.

Edited by CDBlue

• 9 months later...