LaunchBox Community Forums

Marquee Banner Image

adamcian

Totally just getting started and I'm trying to figure out how to get the Banner image to show up in my marquee monitor. I ordered a custom cut 'slim' lcd that has the perfect 16:3 ratio but currently it's showing the game box art in that area. I can't find anywhere in the settings where to change it to use the 'banner' image for the game instead. Thanks for the help!

For now you have to do a bit of a work around. Updates to marquee support just missed out on the last poll. So hopefully the next poll it will make the cut and maybe Jason can add an image priority for marquees. So for now you can try the below:

Any of these will have their drawbacks, but should get what you want done. 

1. If you are comfortable editing code you can edit the theme's specific GameMarqueeView.xaml and change the line of code to point to the banner instead of the game marquee. This would need to be done with each specific theme you want to use. 

2. You could just copy and paste all banner images into the marquee folders.

3. You could make a symlink in the marquee folder to the banner folder.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

For now you have to do a bit of a work around. Updates to marquee support just missed out on the last poll. So hopefully the next poll it will make the cut and maybe Jason can add an image priority for marquees. So for now you can try the below:

Any of these will have their drawbacks, but should get what you want done. 

1. If you are comfortable editing code you can edit the theme's specific GameMarqueeView.xaml and change the line of code to point to the banner instead of the game marquee. This would need to be done with each specific theme you want to use. 

2. You could just copy and paste all banner images into the marquee folders.

3. You could make a symlink in the marquee folder to the banner folder.

Ah, easy enough. I'll just edit the GameMarqueeView.xaml and that should work. I'll have to try it when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the help!

Edited by adamcian

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, adamcian said:

Totally just getting started and I'm trying to figure out how to get the Banner image to show up in my marquee monitor. I ordered a custom cut 'slim' lcd that has the perfect 16:3 ratio but currently it's showing the game box art in that area. I can't find anywhere in the settings where to change it to use the 'banner' image for the game instead. Thanks for the help!

Ok I have to ask because this intrigues me. Where did you find a custom LCD or who made it for you? That sounds like a really cool idea to jazz up my arcade cab!!

1 hour ago, bruemeister said:

Ok I have to ask because this intrigues me. Where did you find a custom LCD or who made it for you? That sounds like a really cool idea to jazz up my arcade cab!!

Fair warning, it's not cheap (~$200-500 depending on size/needs) and it's rather superfluous, but damn cool for sure. There's a couple Chinese manufacturers who will make custom cut LCD's for you via Alibaba. Just search for 'stretch bar lcd' and put your best negotiating hat on along with your best patient face. They use them for advertising and on buses/subways/etc., so it's pretty common, but It's a lot of back and and forth and not always that easy to communicate. However, you can get exactly what you want if you work through it all (about a month's time total). Just be sure to be explicit with them about what you need, b/c it's purely just a cut LCD and nothing else if you don't specify. You need to tell them precisely what size you need, what connections you need (HDMI, DVI, etc.) and what kind of power supply, etc. End result is definitely awesome FWIW, and I got it working perfectly with BigBox if you get to that point and need help. Definitely impressive to have per-platform and per-game specific marquees now when you change your selection.

1 hour ago, adamcian said:

Fair warning, it's not cheap (~$200-500 depending on size/needs) and it's rather superfluous, but damn cool for sure. There's a couple Chinese manufacturers who will make custom cut LCD's for you via Alibaba. Just search for 'stretch bar lcd' and put your best negotiating hat on along with your best patient face. They use them for advertising and on buses/subways/etc., so it's pretty common, but It's a lot of back and and forth and not always that easy to communicate. However, you can get exactly what you want if you work through it all (about a month's time total). Just be sure to be explicit with them about what you need, b/c it's purely just a cut LCD and nothing else if you don't specify. You need to tell them precisely what size you need, what connections you need (HDMI, DVI, etc.) and what kind of power supply, etc. End result is definitely awesome FWIW, and I got it working perfectly with BigBox if you get to that point and need help. Definitely impressive to have per-platform and per-game specific marquees now when you change your selection.

I figured it would be pricey. I did see some on Alibaba after seeing your post but didn't go further yet. I agree it would be a damn cool addition. I will need to do a little more research on the power supply and would need to upgrade my cab PC for dual monitors but that not a big deal. Did you have a certain power supply you used or did you negotiate that into the build requirements?  I have a MAME specific marquee with a fluorescent light behind it now to get the authentic feel. I had thought about something like that a few years ago but never knew you could actually get one that would fit. Of course until I got back in and found Launch box I didn't think you could actually do two monitors either. If I do take the leap this year I may reach out and get some tips and help. Appreciate the info and the offer for assistance!