LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues when swapping computers

Kreo

I have Big Box that I set-up on a 4TB hard drive. The problem I am having is when I load and play any of the 20 systems I have on there it emulates perfectly and works great, however when I bring it  over to a friends house to showcase it to them I tend to have issues and I will mention them here in hopes someone can help me work through these problems.

Ness emulator: I am having issues when attempting to load a game I get a file path directory issue stating something like "Directory F:\Launchbox\emulator\nintendo doesn't exist". It then asks me if I want to create it and then asks about the other file paths and then the game loads and then none of the controls work. It is obviously a file path issue but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resolve this so that the file paths exist when swapping PC's. I am using nestopia emulator to emulate Ness.

N64: When I load the N64 on another computer other than the one I originally set it up on everything loads fine however the controls no longer work and I am unable to interact with any game loaded either with the game pad or the keyboard. I am using Project64 emulator for this system.

Playstation: PSX games wont even load on another PC when I attempt to open them at all. I get no errors or anything I click the game in Big Box and then I get the loading screen and then it shoots back to the play button for the game again. using ePSXe to emulate PS1 games.

Again everything here works when I run it on the computer I set it all up on which leads me to believe most of these are file pathing issues but I was wondering if there was a fix for this or if I am doing something wrong. I am not using retroarchs version of any of these emulators I am using the programs themselves. Thank you to anyone able to even begin to attempt to help me with this issue. Half the fun is being able to bring this over to my friends house and enjoy these games on virtually any computer I plug this hard drive into.

Edit: Every other emulator I use in big box works perfectly fine when swapping PC's. It is just these 3.

Edited by Kreo

Try Mesen or PuNES for NES if you get the results you want switch emulators

for N64 try Mupen stand alone and see how it behaves when switching PCs also.

for ePSXe don't you have to install it and configure it maybe since the other PC doesn't have it installed it doesn't work?

for PSX you can try Mednafen stand alone as an alternative.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Try Mesen or PuNES for NES if you get the results you want switch emulators

for N64 try Mupen stand alone and see how it behaves when switching PCs also.

for ePSXe don't you have to install it and configure it maybe since the other PC doesn't have it installed it doesn't work?

for PSX you can try Mednafen stand alone as an altern

I will try those other emulators and let you know.

ePSXe is not a download but project 64 is and I installed it to the external itself so I am not sure. Ill get back to you in n hour when I get my kid to bed and let you know the results. Thank you for the response

Edited by Kreo

So for anyone else having this issue my fixes were as DOS76 mentioned for a few.

N64: I swapped from using Project64 to retroarch core Lupen64. For whatever reasons the controle configs swap from computer to computer and allow play where as the Project64 controle configs were not swapping for me when I changed PC's with my external.

Nes: I swapped over to Mesen and I now have no file path errors when swapping from PC to PC using my external and running the games through Big Bix.

PS1: This one was a wierd one and I will keep my eye on it. Within ePSXe there is a setting that you need to select for overclocking x1 or the games wont run for whatever reason. When PC swapping this setting along with start in full screen did not carry over from PC to PC. Once I checked those settings off (The overclock x1 was the setting not allowing the games to run from Big Box) my problem was solved. I did try to swap over to retroarch core for this, however not all of may games are in a .cue format and rendered half of the PS1 library for me useless and unable to run.

I hope this helps anyone else in the futre having swap over issues through an external using Big Box and thank you to DOS76 for your help with this matter.