LaunchBox Community Forums

Import Oddities: One file vs. Several

Agrajag

Okay, so I'm continuing my learning with LB/BB and ran into something unexpected. I decided to stick with MAME for my ColecoVision needs and have that functioning finally with full MAME/ColecoVision bios and Software List roms, etc. I noticed things were different from when I did this via LB/RetroArch in that my favorite game, 2010, imported into LB with full info, but this time around it acted like it didn't know anything about it. I assume that's because with RetroArch and my old roms the name of that rom was "2010: The Graphic Action Game (1984) (Coleco)" which is a heck of a lot more to search on than just "2010".

Anyway, the real issue was that I now had the Coleco folder with all 165 roms ready to import. I decided to do an Import Folder and selected the folder. It came back only seeing 52 games. Huh? So I tried Import File and selected all 165. It came back and offered to import 52 of them. I then imported the 52 and realized 2010 wasn't there, but I knew it worked. So, I then I did Import File again and selected JUST the 2010 file and it imported just fine, aside from lacking art. Once I edited it and gave it the full name LB found its DB entry and appended everything.

What am I misunderstanding? I'm now finding that I have to go one-by-one to import the other ~110 titles. This could take weeks. hehe

Neil,

As noted, I managed to find the MAME software list roms which is what I suspect is the issue.... That's okay from my end and I'll deal with consequences, but just want to know what's in store when I move to Intellivision or if there's a "better way", etc.

2 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Neil,

As noted, I managed to find the MAME software list roms which is what I suspect is the issue.... That's okay from my end and I'll deal with consequences, but just want to know what's in store when I move to Intellivision or if there's a "better way", etc.

Ah OK, yeah thats the issue then i'm afraid. Launchbox does not currently have support for software list roms, i believe it is planned for the future, but currently it will not be able to match games to the database very well due to them using the MAME short names rather than conventional naming.

20 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Ah OK, yeah thats the issue then i'm afraid. Launchbox does not currently have support for software list roms, i believe it is planned for the future, but currently it will not be able to match games to the database very well due to them using the MAME short names rather than conventional naming.

Okay, so I get part of that, but that still leaves the main question: Why am I able to manually import one file at a time, but if I multi-select files in the very same wizard, it fails??? I would prefer that it add all the ones I select and then I can at least skip the IMPORT part of the job and just edit each entry to link it to its LB DB entry. 

Should I report this as a bug somewhere?

Edited by Agrajag