LaunchBox Community Forums

Auto Check if Platform/Playlist contains Complete Collection of Officialy Licensed Games

buxilaks

First of all, thanks for LaunchBox! Building a complete library has quicky become one of my main hobbies.

Problem:

In my attempt to collect all 715 officially licensed NES games, I've imported a No-Intro set. I also contains Proto and Unl games, so I've auto-populated them out of the collection. Now, I can see that I have 714 games, so I'm missing a single game. (Just to clarify, I've included 'Nintendo World Championship' and 'Nintendo Campus Challenge 1991' so it's not one of those). Spent two days now, figuring out what game I might've autopopulated out by mistake.

Suggestion:

An option under Tools that scans a playlist or platform for officially licensed titles, and tell the user how close the list is to containing a complete, clean collection.

I'm thinking: Select Platform --> Select Region (let's say US+Euro) = A list of titles marked in green and red, so it's clear what's missing. Maybe yellow to show the titles that are Unl, Proto, Wrong Region and games that doesn't fit in.

I don't know how it would work, but maybe data from wiki sites like this could be used to pull the data from:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

I'm just thinking out loud here - maybe the Audit tool is already capable of doing what I'm looking for. But I think it would help people who are trying to keep it clean, simple and complete.

Cheers from Denmark

7 minutes ago, buxilaks said:

First of all, thanks for LaunchBox! Building a complete library has quicky become one of my main hobbies.

Problem:

In my attempt to collect all 715 officially licensed NES games, I've imported a No-Intro set. I also contains Proto and Unl games, so I've auto-populated them out of the collection. Now, I can see that I have 714 games, so I'm missing a single game. (Just to clarify, I've included 'Nintendo World Championship' and 'Nintendo Campus Challenge 1991' so it's not one of those). Spent two days now, figuring out what game I might've autopopulated out by mistake.

Suggestion:

An option under Tools that scans a playlist or platform for officially licensed titles, and tell the user how close the list is to containing a complete, clean collection.

I'm thinking: Select Platform --> Select Region (let's say US+Euro) = A list of titles marked in green and red, so it's clear what's missing. Maybe yellow to show the titles that are Unl, Proto, Wrong Region and games that doesn't fit in.

I don't know how it would work, but maybe data from wiki sites like this could be used to pull the data from:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

I'm just thinking out loud here - maybe the Audit tool is already capable of doing what I'm looking for. But I think it would help people who are trying to keep it clean, simple and complete.

Cheers from Denmark

Hi and welcome to the forums and community. :)

The audit tool in Launchbox isnt designed for this purpose, it is designed to audit things that are already inside of Launchbox. So it will show games not linked in our database, or games with no images, or no videos and things like that, it isnt designed to tell you what you do or do not have for a system. Those things are often difficult to do, especially as lists will often vary in the number of officially licensed games and the like. There are programs out there that will match dat files to the files you have, but again that relies on the dat files in question being 100% accurate in the first place.

Ill be honest and say if it was me, and there was one game missing and i couldnt see which one by eye and knowledge id probably just shrug and say, well it cant be that good anyway. :) but i get that some people like to know they have everything. You will unfortunately need to look for a third party solution in order to ascertain that im afraid. 

At the end of the day Launchbox's intention is a launcher for games hence the name, while it will of course catalog your games that you import, it isnt designed to be a be all and end all of very specific data like that.

Thanks for the quick reply, it makes a lot of sense :)

If anyone reads this and can recommend software that can scan and sort rom libraries, please leave a comment.

By the way, This morning I found the last game, so now I'm able to sleep at night again. Next stop, SNES.