LaunchBox Community Forums

PC Shopping

Vallnor

It's time to update my Emulation PC.  I have been running this old A6-5400k Pc for a bit too long now and emulating WiiU and other systems have been haunting me.  Now with newer games out like MK11, I want to run them on my arcade an upgrade is needed.  I was shopping around to build one and am finding price wise it's almost more expensive to build one than it is to buy one.  I'm hoping to spend around $1000 (and when I say I'm I really mean my wife is hoping I only spend) Does anyone have any recommendations or has seen a good PC out there or should I just build one?  I'm leaning between an Intel Core I7-8700k or a comparable Rysen. I just want a good PC that will last a good while in my cabinet that will emulate just about anything I throw at it including some PC fighting games.

Pauls Hardware on YouTube has great builds based on certain budgets and he recently did a video showing a build for approx $850 at the time with a Ryzen 2600.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulshardware/saved/YVkhyc?ref=paul

Intel is still the kings of emulation because of their instructions per clock cycle but the gap has closed significantly compared to their previous CPUs. I have a Ryzen 2700X in my current PC build and it handles Cemu and RPCS3 without issue, Zelda BotW runs at a solid 60 fps.

He also did an Intel build for roughly the same price if you prefer the Intel route:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulshardware/saved/8dyvnQ?ref=paul

Of course if you are free to change things around to suit your needs and preferences, those 2 builds should leave you enough wiggle room should you wish to make a couple of small upgrades.