LaunchBox Community Forums

Related/Similar/Recommended Games lists in Big Box

usuallee76

Hey guys, thought I'd post this in an attempt to drum up a bit of support for a feature I just requested. Below is what I wrote in the bitbucket proposal. I think it's a pretty dope idea. Please vote if you agree!

In Big Box, wouldn't it be great if there was a section called Related Games (or Similar Games, or Recommended Games, etc.)? Plex has this for movies, and it is excellent.

For example, if you have F-Zero GX up, The could be a section Related Games that might list XG3, Wipeout for the PS2, F-Zero for the Snes and N64, Redout for PC, other 'Cube racing exclusives like Mario Kart Double Dash & Wave Race: Blue Storm, maybe a Need  for Speed game, etc.

Or if you have Ikaruga up, it could list Chaos Field, Battle Garegga, and other shmups.

If it's a game that is in a playlist you've made, such as favorites, there could be another row of games called "More from Favorites".

Even if it was more or less a randomly selected bunch of games, it gives you something to look at and some ideas of what to play next. This would be so great!

It is similar to what is proposed in tickets #2713 and #3178 but those are old and seem dead. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The related/similar games sounds like the different Views (Genre, Developer, Series...) that are available.  So I think what you're saying is when you select a game in BB, you'd then see a curated list of other games that are same Genre/Series/Play Mode/Developer/Publisher... as the one selected.  Almost, but not quite a redundancy.   I think the biggest problem that would come about with this is the logistics of what constitutes a related game.  That is, how many and which one(s) of the 'details' need to match to be considered related?   Though I suppose something could be possibly added somewhere in LB options where you check which details you want to sort from and in what order.  Similar to Image Priorities.

For recommended, I don't think that'd work.  LB/BB would have to keep a database of everyone's "Favorites" (assuming this isn't done alongside star ratings or anywhere for that matter) then process accordingly... "Other's whose this was a Favorite ("who like this") also had listed as their Favorites ("also liked") these".

Yeah so let's say you have BB open and you are in, let's say, Donpachi. Somewhere on there, like towards the bottom like the Plex example above, It could say "More from Cave" and then list  DoDonPachi, Espgaluda, Deathsmiles, etc. Perhaps there could also be "More Shoot 'em Ups" and list some random shooters, or maybe some of the highest rated by community rating. Maybe there could also be a "Other Games From 1996" section. So it could just use the metadata that already exists to generate lists.

Wouldn't that be so very cool? Honestly, even if it was just a completely randomly generated list of games, it at least gives you some games to look at and consider playing. Maybe there could be a random sampling of unplayed games. "Most played by you in 2018". "Most played by the community in 2018", "most played last month", "Take a second look" - games you rated poorly after only a single play. Et Cetera. The possibilities are truly endless!

Again, I'm a bit surprised at the minimal interest. Seems like (to me anyway) it would be a super awesome feature, and possibly not even that hard for a true wizard like Jason to hash out given that data that already exists in LB would be more than sufficient to generate these types of lists.