LaunchBox Community Forums

HDD problems

g0d53nd

Apologize If this is in the wrong section, did not see a hardware type section.

Was wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem as me.

I have a SSD for OS and HDD for my games and launchbox it is a 1tb barracuda 7200 rpm hdd. No matter the emulator, game or settings every so often my hdd makes a beep the game freezes for a fraction of a second as if it's lag in an online game, the game resumes and plays for a bit then it happens again. It can be a little annoying. I played a game of NFL blitz 2000 on redream and the whole game it happened probably 7 times.

I switched over to a western digital 3tb 5400 rpm and it does the same thing, however,  not as often. When I put it on my SSD, it does not happen.

Ran it with and with out launchbox and big box and all same results so it's not the program.

Ran a hdd program to test health of drives and all passed with flying colors.  If it matters I do not leave my htpc on 24/7, everything is local so no NAS is running.

Curious if anyone else has this and if it's normal. 

Intel g3258 

8 GB gskill ram

Win 7 pro

Nvidia gtx 1050

All drivers up to date

If all else fails I'll buy a 1tb ssd lol, you only live once!

I had it to on NEVER for the hdd sleep mode in the power options. That is the only option I know of to keep the hdd from sleeping, unless there is another way?

Doing more research apparently many Seagate hdds do this and from the message boards I saw this on ,no one had a real solution. I just never noticed it until recently. Also my WD blue does it as well but there is no sound that accompanies the split second freeze/lag

I can take a quick video when I get home, maybe that can help as well.