LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform Genre [Request]

ayuno

Hi there,

if possible, generating a genre under a specific platform would be nice.

As instance:

GBA

>Action

>RPG

>Sci-Fi

SNES

>RPG

>Simulation

Further, if you select Platform as standard to show (not BigBox), It'd be nice if you could use just the search area, to search the genre on that specific Platform you've marked currently, without switching the to the category genre completely.

Thanks!.

You can make pretty much any kind of playlist under a platform. When you create a new platform under the Parents tab you can choose what you want it to show up under. Same for an existing playlist. Just right click the playlist name, edit and look in the Parents tab as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

You can make pretty much any kind of playlist under a platform. When you create a new platform under the Parents tab you can choose what you want it to show up under. Same for an existing playlist. Just right click the playlist name, edit and look in the Parents tab as well. 

Thanks Retro, but I never really understood what a playlist is supposed to be on launchbox honestly. Is every playlist I create unique to the corresponding platform?

Ps: I still don't know exactly what or how to create specific things with this playlist. Unique Name, "Nested" Name... what does Nested Name mean? and how do I create genre with this?

Edited by ayuno

9 minutes ago, ayuno said:

Thanks Retro, but I never really understood what a playlist is supposed to be on launchbox honestly. Is every playlist I create unique to the corresponding platform?

A playlist on Launchbox is like a playlist on anything else you may use. The playlist can be unique to whatever you want it to be. It is your choice. You can have it auto-populate games or set it to manual where it only updates when you say "add this game to this specific playlist". 

You can call a playlist whatever you want, have it show up under any Category, Platform, or show up on its own as a main category if you so choose. 

You can see in the image I set this specific playlists up to only show up under the Category of Playlist. If I wanted I can have a playlist show up under a platform just by changing the tick boxes in the parents tab. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.43.04 AM.png

• Like 1

So basically, If I want to create custom genres with this, I have to create for each one a single playlist with a unique name as instance a unique name like Action or RPG?. And what exactly does Auto-Populate do in this case? Sorry for so many stupid questions...

EDIT: I think I got it now... thanks a bunch.

Edited by ayuno

4 minutes ago, ayuno said:

So basically, If I want to create custom genres with this, I have to create for each one a single playlist with a unique name as instance a unique name like Action or RPG?. And what exactly does Auto-Populate do in this case? Sorry for so many stupid questions...

Correct. 

Auto-populate does just that. In the Auto-Populate tab you choose the criteria you want to set it to. Then anytime you add or remove games it will get added or deleted from the playlist without you doing anything. 

Say you want only an Arcade Shoot 'em up genre. You set auto to Platform="Arcade" and Genre="Shoot 'Em Up" and it pulls only games in the Arcade platform with genre listed as Shoot em up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Correct. 

Auto-populate does just that. In the Auto-Populate tab you choose the criteria you want to set it to. Then anytime you add or remove games it will get added or deleted from the playlist without you doing anything. 

Say you want only an Arcade Shoot 'em up genre. You set auto to Platform="Arcade" and Genre="Shoot 'Em Up" and it pulls only games in the Arcade platform with genre listed as Shoot em up. 

Thanks again for your great help Retro. Here is my last question. I've converted my playlist into a manual one since I want to decide on my own which games to add into this genre. However, the playlist automatically captured like all games available in all of my platforms so I deleted all of them, to add it manually. But I can't find a option to add games into this playlist there is just remove or sorting out buttons (top, bottom etc.)

You create the manual playlist then you go to the games you want and right click then select "add to playlist". You can also change your Launchbox view to All Game and then bulk select as many games as you want and then right click and add to playlist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You create the manual playlist then you go to the games you want and right click then select "add to playlist". You can also change your Launchbox view to All Game and then bulk select as many games as you want and then right click and add to playlist.

Thanks a bunch!! I finally got it and did everything right. The way I want at least.

• Like 1