LaunchBox Community Forums

Raspberry Pi 4 has been released

ClassicGMR

Just in case you don't follow the single-board scene or hadn't heard yet:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Very happy we didn't have to wait until 202 for a Pi 4. Up to 4GB RAM, USB 3.0 and an updated 1.5 GHz processor. Same GPU but this one is reported to run GLES 3.x drivers so it will be able to do more.

Edited by ClassicGMR
added specs

• 2 months later...

How do these SBC's compare to an Android? I was briefly interested but found the specs to be really limited although for $35 I understand. I'm just not understanding the value in an SBC unless you have no computer at all and need something cheap that can get you by. I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those who use and love these things.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Conclusion: For emulation purposes, Pi 4 still doesn't run MAME 3D games and runs many games decently but not all. The super small form factor is awesome but extra ram does nothing for emulation in my opinion and buying a kit, or even a case for that matter, raises the price substantially. Pi 4 runs hotter so a case and/or a fan is necessary. So my recommendation is to buy a Pi 3 with 1, maybe 2 GB of ram, and mount it bare for $25-$35 bucks. Otherwise, I suggest putting something more powerful in its place.

• Like 1