LaunchBox Community Forums

Series Playlists and Best Practices.

fromlostdays

So I've become enamored with the idea of using the playlist feature to create collections, series, franchises etc. It seems like it should be easy enough, but I'm running into a bunch of problems. I just wanted to get some outside opinions.

Problem 1: Rereleases. 

Using Resident Evil as an example, theres the HD release to contend with. For many games theres also the multiplatform releases to contend with.

Possible Solution:

I think I've contented myself with the idea that the "best" version based on personal preference should feature in the playlist, and all other versions should be added to that entry as additional apps. Thoughts?

Problem 2: Spin offs, and prequels.

There's something attractive to me about chronological order, but again using Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0 came out later, but is a prequal to the first one. Would you use chronology here, just in terms of where it appears in the playlist, or would you go by intended narrative order?

Resident Evil also has a few light gun shooters. And when you think about games like Super Mario, the spin offs are ... particularly daunting as some spin offs have formed other franchises. This is really where I hit the wall. If you wanted to make a resident evil collection playlist, would you include the light gun games? And further, where would they appear in the list? Chronologically, by narritive (if possible), or just kind of pushed to the back? Any other ideas or ways to organize would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit:

So far this is my list specifically for resident evil but I hope to glean some best practices from this venture. I'm thinking I'll just leave the shooters out as if they are important enough to me they should warrant their own collection entry. This is based on narrative, not chronology:

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil (1)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 5
Resident EVil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 7

Shooters:
Resident Evil Survivor
Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code Veronica
Resident Evil Dead Aim

Others:
Resident Evil Gaiden ?
Resident Evil Outbreak (&File #2)?
Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles?
Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles?
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D?
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (Non-cannon hypothetical)?
Umbrella Corps?

Edited by fromlostdays