LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox adding a roms that I definitely don't have? And other things...

fatguy666

Hi,

I've only started using LaunchBox in the last few days. I've got a full split set for MAME 0.201 and have been trying to trim it down from the 35000+ roms that are in there. After deleting mechanical and the like, I've cut it down to 15000+ which is still too much.

Anyway, I added that full folder into LaunchBox which comes up with 2817 games. Seems good. My idea was to use LaunchBox's copy feature to copy all of those to a new folder then delete everything in the original folder. Unfortunately, it's only copying 2730 roms over. I've attached a screenshot showing that.

So I moved the massive folder and replaced it with the small folder and did a scan for removed roms to see what was missing. There are a lot of them, and I haven't got time at the moment to go through them all but the two I had a look at are "Shanghai Sangokuhai Tougi" and "Point Blank 2". Now, I've NEVER had "Shanghai Sangokuhai Tougi" so I don't know why it's saying it's missing, I checked the original rom folder and it does not contain shangtou.zip so I don't know how that's been added to my library. It's not something I'll ever play but I find it weird.

I DO have ptblank2.zip and ptblank2ua.zip but when I use the copy function it did not copy these across for whatever reason. Also, I have the original Point Blank and that's working in MAME but isn't being scanned by LaunchBox. Again, I'll probably never play these but I'm just curious what's happening.

Right now, I'm not even sure where I'm going with this post. All I wanted was to get rid of all the crud!

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Using the Mame Full Set importer with anything other than the latest set at the time of importing will give you games you don't actually have. The older your rom set is the more this will be an issue. You can still import your set the old way by simply drag and dropping your rom set into LB and filter it all out using the built in filters. The Full Set importer uses a Mame database xml file to import more accurately.

Using the copy feature on a Mame set, especially a split or merged set is not something we recommend doing because it will only copy those files imported and will not copy other necessary files such as parents or bios files such as neogeo.zip or qsound.zip.

• Thanks 1

Just for my own sanity I thought I'd post an update on this, as I updated my set to 0.211 and was still getting the same results - 2817 games imported.

LaunchBox was still showing this game "Shanghai Sangokuhai Tougi" but I could not for the life of me find shangtou.zip that was showing in the game details panel. After looking at http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=shangtou&arcade_only=0&autosearch=1 I seen that the BIOS for this game is COH3002T.ZIP which I DO have. I didn't have the CHD so it wouldn't run but mystery solved there.

The issue I had with Point Blank is one that I eventually seen on these very forums - the guide I had followed for importing the ROMS said to choose "World", but this imported Point Blank (and a few other games) as their Japanese counterparts. Starting from scratch and using "North America" sorted that.

As for trimming the ROMS, I basically took every listing for ApplicationPath in Arcade.xml and set up a .bat file to move them. Haven't had any issues as far as I can tell and it's trimmed the files from 35,000 to 8000. Had the BIOS files already backed up to a different folder in case anything went wrong.

Edited by fatguy666