LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a database/resource for picking the best version of a game/rom?

PurpleTentacle

I usually pick whatever the latest version of the game is, but that's not always the best version. Sometimes some interesting bugs are removed (like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!! had a glitch when you fought Sandman (not 100% sure that it was removed in later games, but that's what I was told), but it's the kind of thing that would almost never happen unintentionally). 

Anyway, I'm generally clueless as to which versions of any particular game is the best. I know some arcade databases list some info on differences in versions, but I'm also curious if there are versions of a game that people consider to be the "unoffical-offical version to play". Consoles don't typically have as many updated versions of a game, but obviously some games do, and it would be good to know which to pick.

Anyway, how do you handle the option when you have the choice? Do you look it up? Are you like me & just pick the most recent release?

Unless I know I need a specific version, I just got with whatever the no-intro atom for my region is.

For MAME games I usually try to use the parent rom, except when it’s not for my region, or adds special features.

For example, Double Dragon, I’ll use the world version ddragonw, instead of the parent Japanese version ddragon.

Another is using a variant of Teenage Mutant Turtles rom so I can pick my character since by default the parent rom works with a 4 player cabinet.