LaunchBox Community Forums

Import tool cluttered Big Box with files (Wii U)

Y_B_A_FOOL

I tried looking around but I could find anything on the issue. When I tried to use the Import Roms tool it loaded a bunch of random files from the Wii U roms folders. I deleted them in Launchbox and manually added each game. Everything is fine in Launch Box but Big Box still has the random files in it. Is there a way to clear these out? Thanks
launchbox.thumb.jpg.d742518c42451e1cff5e24efb1f9b8e3.jpgbigbox.thumb.jpg.d492ee6a553869035cf6eff198b1372e.jpg

Wii U is kind of a PITA to add. I personally add games for it one at a time but you can go to the folder where your WII U games are and then use search in File Explorer to find just .rpx file then import just those then at the end of the import depending on how many games you added change the name to all of them to the title you want using the file path that is shown in the one of the fields of the table.

24 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Wii U is kind of a PITA to add. I personally add games for it one at a time but you can go to the folder where your WII U games are and then use search in File Explorer to find just .rpx file then import just those then at the end of the import depending on how many games you added change the name to all of them to the title you want using the file path that is shown in the one of the fields of the table.

I already added them manually, but I reminisce of the initial rom load is still stuck in Big Box. I can't find a way to remove them. Is there a location in the launch box directory when I can remove them or something?

Navigate to the LB data/platforms folder do you have a Nintendo Wii U backup in that folder if so move or delete it. Also if you have any backup platform xmls in that folder get rid of them we have seen people having an issue with that lately. If there isn't any then I'm pretty much out of ideas why LB and BB would have different data as it uses the same xml files to populate the games

I figured it out!!! I decided to kill the Wii U platform and start over, then I wondered how I created it in the first place... Then it clicked! I used the Import ROM Files tool on a game folder to create the platform and caused all my headache. I must have used a folder instead of a file because I wouldn't have to explain any of these additional steps. It will look fine Launch Box if you load a folder but it will load a bunch of trash into Big Box. Deleting the platform did not fix Big Box, I had to delete the following files from the Launch Box directory:

• Launchbox > Backups (delete all the Nintendo Wii U_[date] files)
  • Launchbox > Data > Platforms > Nintendo Wii U

To recreate the Wii U platform, duplicate one of the RPX files and rename it to something Launch Box can easily grab the metadata (ie BayonetLoader.rpx to Bayonetta.rpx). If you don't do this the default file name will not load into the platform correctly, there will be nothing in the platform after it loads and you can't right click to add more games... Use the Import ROM Files tool for that specific file ***NOT THE FOLDER*** Booting up Big Box confirmed everything was back to normal!

To wrap it up, you have to edit the first game loaded so its linked to the original .rpx and then deleted the duplicate. The reason you need to do all this is Cemu will not be able to detect the rpx if the name has been changed and you will not be able to use the graphics packs for that game! Add the rest of your games manually and everything should be good! Hopefully this helps someone who messed up attempting to use the Import ROM Files tool like I did the first time. I just assumed it would work ? and you know what they say about assuming...

Edited by Y_B_A_FOOL
Replaced rom loader with Import ROM Files tool for clarity

Well I had to change the file name. If you loaded the file as it is in the folder, it won't load correctly. It platform will populate, it will say 1 game loaded but there wont be anything there. It would have been easier to load a game with a name closer to what I needed. Ducktales loads fine and pulls the meta data.