LaunchBox Community Forums

Import wizard and MAME

pajokijr

Hi all, 

I am a complete rookie when it comes to emulators of any kind and earlier this week I downloaded MAME64 (.214) and Launch Box. When i opened Launch Box, I used the "Import Complete MAME---" (sorry, I can't remember the specific name of it and I am not near my computer atm). It downloaded something like 2800 "games" and took a couple hours to DL. I quoted "games" because after the download I had gotten all the artwork and such, but when I would click play, it would say initializing, then either go back to my Launch Box window, or I would get the command screen and it would say something along the lines of "missing files" blah blah.

I guess my question is, is this an actual full MAMEROM collection that it downloads, or is it just the associated media to go along with what ever ROM's you may have saved already? I had the files sent to my ROM's folder inside the MAME folder, but when i went in there, it was empty aside from the directory .txt file. I also checked that I had MAME set up as my emulator in Launch Box, watched a billion tutorials (maybe I missed a detail in all of them?), and read everything I could online but can't seem to figure this out. 

Like I said, complete noob here, so please go easy on me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance for the help!

1 minute ago, pajokijr said:

Hi all, 

I am a complete rookie when it comes to emulators of any kind and earlier this week I downloaded MAME64 (.214) and Launch Box. When i opened Launch Box, I used the "Import Complete MAME---" (sorry, I can't remember the specific name of it and I am not near my computer atm). It downloaded something like 2800 "games" and took a couple hours to DL. I quoted "games" because after the download I had gotten all the artwork and such, but when I would click play, it would say initializing, then either go back to my Launch Box window, or I would get the command screen and it would say something along the lines of "missing files" blah blah.

I guess my question is, is this an actual full MAMEROM collection that it downloads, or is it just the associated media to go along with what ever ROM's you may have saved already? I had the files sent to my ROM's folder inside the MAME folder, but when i went in there, it was empty aside from the directory .txt file. I also checked that I had MAME set up as my emulator in Launch Box, watched a billion tutorials (maybe I missed a detail in all of them?), and read everything I could online but can't seem to figure this out. 

Like I said, complete noob here, so please go easy on me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance for the help!

Launchbox does not supply any roms/games, you have to source those yourself.

24 minutes ago, pajokijr said:

That's actually what I thought before starting this venture, but then saw that import feature and was surprised. But it makes a lot more sense why none of the games play lol. Thanks for the help

The reason it actually looks like it added games is because the MAME fullset importer works differently to the other importers. While it does ask you for a rom path it doesnt actually check if there is anything in that path as it uses MAMES own data to identify the games. The other importer for normal rom files will only import what you have in the location you specify however, but it's assumed if you are running the MAME fullset importer that you do in fact have a fullset.

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Flatterbe said:

When I use the mame importer, will the roms be copied into the Launchbox location or will they remain on the original location?

The MAME fullset importer does not move any files, in fact it doesnt even read them, it gets what games to import from the mamemetadata.xml file.

I see.

Also, since I got a full mame romset, is it possible (and a good idea) to use the cabinet/artwork/videosnaps from this package instead of letting Launchbox download all the available covers/emumovies?

What's the best practice to get the full launchbox 'experience' when importing a full mameset?