LaunchBox Community Forums

Game metadata from additional sources

Hello,

I am interested in building a plug-in that allows you to pull in additional meta data for games (series, genre, favorite check box, etc...) from an additional sources. I’m wondering if anyone knows of an event or interface in the plugin API that would let me hook in to when a game’s meta-data is being saved or updated?  I didn’t see it but I am new to building plugins for launchbox so maybe I’m missing it. 

The reason I would like to do this is that I’d like to build playlists with auto-generated conditions for my favorite games in a genre, series, or collection. For example my favorite beat em ups playlist where favorite = true and genre = beat em up. I’ve noticed the metadata that launch box pulls down for series and genre fields isn’t always what I want, I prefer it to be categorized a little differently for my playlists.

I could change the values manually and they save but if I redownload meta data I would lose those values. There are a lot of minor changes that I’d like to make so I am thinking to create a plugin that would allow me to specify my own xml file for game meta data and it would add whatever is in my file to the game when launchbox is pulling in meta data. Does anyone know if this is possible? 

If not I could create a plugin that is a menu item where you can click it and it updates all games. I just thought pulling the data in while launchbox is pulling the data in would be more seamless. 

Edited by Fry