LaunchBox Community Forums

Is it possible to use text for playlist categories, but clear logos for platforms?

The_A_Drain

It seems that whatever I choose under Platform List View applies to Platform Categories, Platforms and Playlists, but I really don't like the clear logos for playlists and would much prefer just text list.

Or at least remove the Clear Logos that are auto-generated, I've tried deleting them but they still show up in the list.

Also is it possible to not use platform categories, but use playlists once you select a platform? It seems I can have Platform Categories and Playlists, or just Platforms.

Thanks

Edited by The_A_Drain

On 12/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, The_A_Drain said:

It seems that whatever I choose under Platform List View applies to Platform Categories, Platforms and Playlists, but I really don't like the clear logos for playlists and would much prefer just text list.

Or at least remove the Clear Logos that are auto-generated, I've tried deleting them but they still show up in the list.

Also is it possible to not use platform categories, but use playlists once you select a platform? It seems I can have Platform Categories and Playlists, or just Platforms.

Thanks

You could probably change the view for your playlists to a text view. There is an option in BigBox to "Remember Separate View Per Platform" (or something along that name). When ticked you can then set each unique platform to one of the many views themes will have available. Standard in all themes is the requirement they have a TextView. 

To change views in a platform/playlist you will need to bind a key or button to the option for "Change View" in BigBox. Then when in that platform hit that key/button to change. 

Thanks Retro808, I gave it a try, but when I changed the view in Playlists and backed out again, it had changed it for all 3, Playlists, Platforms and Platform Categories.

I don't think it considers the Playlists View, Platforms View and Platform Categories View to be platforms. If I change the view for say, SNES, it remembers that. But I already have those set to text.

It's the Playlist selection view I need to be text, rather than the games selection view when you select a playlist. For now I've changed the clear logos to custom ones that use a plain, clear text font but for some reason it just refuses to use them for certain auto-generated playlists. Deleting the default ones just seems to bring them back on the next boot, but also doing this for many platforms is a pain. I tried putting them in the images folder in the theme under Playlists/Clear Logos/ but that also didn't do anything, I didn't really expect it to though.

It doesn't have to be text specifically, I just don't want the default logos because, honestly, they look horrific and are very hard to read. But changing them individually for every platform is a real pain and sometimes even after updating the cache, it displays the default ones anyway.

Edited by The_A_Drain

Thanks for testing that Retro808, I appreciate it. And Merry Christmas :)

I've failed in describing what I want though. It's not the individual playlists I want to have different views, this works, I have all game selection views set as text.

It's the menu for selecting a playlist that I want to have a different view from the platform selection menu. Not the game selection view, so one back from your screenshots.

I'm just using the one-click in-built playlists setup by right clicking a platform in Launchbox and hitting 'Auto Generate Child Playlists' (although I did try moving them to root also to see if that would allow me to do this but it didn't work)

This is the view I'd like to change to text (Playlists View)

playlists.thumb.PNG.7eccd60ae182b6c9bc0bd5a263e5274f.PNGBut when I change this view, these two also change (Platform Categories and Platforms):

platformcategories.thumb.PNG.a8894d0004a6807b51475f5cdba94da9.PNGplatforms.thumb.PNG.27cc5e0d15ab8e8655e6e02d2267f69f.PNGMy actual playlists are working just fine, although I've not customized any of them very much just set them all to text view.

playlist.thumb.PNG.2e140e37b5167de9da24ad561f24d2b7.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick bump for this one to see if anybody knows more. I'd really love to know if this is possible because I'd like to be able to select Arcade playlists in the text view while keeping the nice wheel views for the Platform and PlatformCategory views. If it's not, I'll just have to create custom images using the plain text, that's not the end of the world.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, The_A_Drain said:

Just a quick bump for this one to see if anybody knows more. I'd really love to know if this is possible because I'd like to be able to select Arcade playlists in the text view while keeping the nice wheel views for the Platform and PlatformCategory views. If it's not, I'll just have to create custom images using the plain text, that's not the end of the world.

Cheers

I do not think this is possible. The playlists would use the platform level views so they will respond to only show the view type set for the platform. It has never really been requested to set a playlist to a different view type. So this is likely not something on Jason's list of things to look at.