LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo CD using the neocd core

jamai36

I have read a lot of tutorials/forum posts on getting neo geo cd working, but a lot of them are irrelevant to me as I only have .chds (believe me I have tried to find a consistent source for single file bin/cues, but can only get the ones with a million little .bins and those don't work).

From what I gather, the only way to get a .chd to work is either in MAME or with the neocd core in retroarch (or so it claims).  Final Burn doesn't seem to support .chds.

I have followed multiple mame tutorials, making softlists and all of that nonsense and none of them worked.   So I am going back to neocd as it claims to work with .chds.  I'm pretty sure the issue with neocd is it is not recognizing my bios files.  As per the libretro doc - it states I need a Y Zoom file, which I have - and a neocd.bin bios file, which I also have.  It tells me to put them in a retroarch/system/neocd folder which I have done (I also put them in /system as well).  When I load the core in retroarch it tells me I am missing all of the bios files under core information.  I am certain this is the problem, as when I try to open the rom in LB it doesn't even attempt to open retroarch.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with Neo Geo CD in retroarch?  Outside of me maybe tackling the Amiga if I feel brave, this is the very last platform I have to conquer, and it is proving a real pain in the ass.  All of the usual tricks don't seem to work, and this is giving me some bad cdi vibes :|

I have neocd setup in my retroarch. Although I use FBNeo mostly for neocd (I have bin/img files) I have tested neocd and it worked for me.  You are correct about the system/neocd folder needing to exist.  For the record, these are the files I have in mine:

000-lo.lo
neocd.bin
neocd.srm (don't quite recall why this is in there)

The best thing to do first is match the SHA1 hash values for the files you have with the ones recommended for the neocd core (as can be seen here - https://github.com/libretro/neocd_libretro)  If they don't match then likely that's the issue.  If they do match, then I'm not sure what else might be the cause, other than maybe bad chd dumps maybe :(