LaunchBox Community Forums

XML corrupt - no fixes have worked

ekydragon

Hello all.
I'm at my wits end with the project. Seems only a very few games work properly & now LB won't even open.

When opening LB, the error kicks back "Arcade.xml# file is corrupt". Data at the root level is invalid; line 1, position 1

I've fun .NET repair tool to no avail.
I've un-installed & re-installed LB.
Running Win10 pro 1903.

Any & all ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Eric

1 hour ago, ekydragon said:

Hello all.
I'm at my wits end with the project. Seems only a very few games work properly & now LB won't even open.

When opening LB, the error kicks back "Arcade.xml# file is corrupt". Data at the root level is invalid; line 1, position 1

I've fun .NET repair tool to no avail.
I've un-installed & re-installed LB.
Running Win10 pro 1903.

Any & all ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Eric

If it is telling you a specific platform xml is corrupt remove it from your \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder. Then go to your \Launchbox\Backups folder and look for the most recent version of the platform xml (note: it will have the platform name with a date so for example a back up for the Arcade.xml may look like Arcade_2020-01-16_18-29-48.xml) and copy it and paste into your \Data\Platforms folder and rename it simply "Arcade.xml".

If all works well you should now look to find out why the xml files are corrupting. On main reason we see this happening is Launchbox being forcefully closed.

You can also open that Arcade.xml and see what is wrong with "Line 1 Position 1". In a working xml file in Line 1 Position one you should see the "<" symbol.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 6.52.13 PM.png

Thanks for the reply, @Retro808. Super rad the mods are so quick to assist.

I've already tried the fix you suggested. I've replaced the .XML file with various backups, with no luck.

And, the first character in each .XML file I used has the open angle bracket. All looks good in there.

Even tried deleting the settings.xml

Uninstalled & reinstalled LB. No dice.

Edited by ekydragon

Can you post one of the corrupted xml files.

Also maybe try downloading a fresh Launchbox into a completely different folder and import a couple games into a single platform (mainly one that the existing LB is showing is corrupt). Do not download media just import the game and test if Launchbox works.