LaunchBox Community Forums

LCD Help

Cv2065

Hi all. Had a question around LCD monitors. I have a Slick Stik arcade cab with a 29” CRT that has died. Think I’m going to switch to LCD, but need something to fill the space. I’ve been looking at this 30” 16:10 monitor at Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/axiom-3018-30-wqhd/p/15Z-00MH-00005

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRRCI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t3_B01LWJMM1S?th=1

Anyone see any issues running classic or current MAME games with either of these monitors?

Any recommendations for alternatives? I’d like to fill the space vertically and horizontally as much as possible.

Thanks!

I would highly suggest a G-Sync or Freesync display, especially for Mame but of course you will require a video card which supports that. G-Sync is only available with Nvidia cards while Freesync is an AMD technology but some Freesync monitors do work with Nvidia graphics cards but is something you need to check before hand since not all are compatible.

G-Sync / Freesync is particularly good with Mame because many arcade games run at oddball refresh rates and these monitors (with supporting graphics cards) adjust the monitor to match the game. This eliminates screen tearing and other graphical anomalies such as the NeoGeos use of "flicker" shadows and you run your games at their proper speed. Without G-Sync or Freesync you have to choose between enabling v-sync which forces the game to run at 60hz or whatever refresh rate the monitor rates which is often faster than intended or you can turn v-sync off which runs the game at it's appropriate speed but you will have screen tearing because the game is running at a different speed than that of the monitor.

As for filling the side spaces the only thing you can do about this is either run your games stretched which for many is not an option or you can use bezel artwork to cover the black spaces on the sides. Personally I have no issues with black empty space on the sides in my setup but that is just my preference.

Thanks for that. I didn't even think about the Freesync/G-Sync piece of the equation. Doesn't look like there are any 16:10 Freesync monitors available. I think I could deal with a 4" discrepancy from the horizontal to vertical in a 27" monitor. For example, this monitor from Acer is 24.5" x 20.8" in dimensions, which should fill the space up nicely and is not that crazy wide of 5 or 6" in difference. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMTLW2R/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=613003848-2-2014885640.1585248864&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

Two other questions. Any advantages to using a 4K or 1080p monitor? Also, what connections are ideal from monitor to PC? This one has VGA, HDMI and Display Port.

4 minutes ago, Cv2065 said:

Any advantages to using a 4K or 1080p monitor?

Well for starters CRT shaders will look better on a 4K display, if you like using those types of shaders. After that though for arcade games it really doesn't matter a whole lot since arcade games vary a lot in their vertical resolution so some games will scale to match better than others. For consoles though most of them are 240 pixels high or very close to it and that doesn't match up very will with a 1080p display if you are using integer scaling. 4K has a height of 2160 which is a perfect 9x integer scale, 1440p is also a good choice since it's a perfect 6x scale.

9 minutes ago, Cv2065 said:

Also, what connections are ideal from monitor to PC? This one has VGA, HDMI and Display Port.

I don't believe Freesync works over VGA at all, I know G-Sync does not. G-sync requires display port while Freesync does work over HDMI, not sure about Freesync with an Nvidia card which is a case by case basis, like I said in my previous post, that is something you will need to investigate your self based on the display you intend on buying.

Going from a CRT to a fixed pixel display is going to have some tradeoffs for you that is for certain.