LaunchBox Community Forums

Help a noob out with running games on Demul please

the_bunker

Hi form, noob here. Can somebody please help me out with getting some games running on Demul please. I have been trying to search all over the net for some advice and been trying whatever I have come across but to no avail. I manage to successfully get some games going by extracting their ROMs from a mame rom collection but somehow other games just don't run and I tried downloading all sorts of files like CDI, GDI files ROM files etc and still couldn't get them to run...

For example I can run Virtua Striker 3, 18 wheeler and Crazy Taxi just fine on demul but I can't get something like Last Blade 2 running. 

Would am I missing here? 

Many thanks in advance for reading and helping out. 

Are you having issues running the game directly in the emulator or from within LaunchBox? First step is to always make sure the games work with using Launchbox.

Specifically when using Demul as LaunchBox requires different settings for Demul when running console games versus arcade games.

11 hours ago, the_bunker said:

Hi Retro, thanks for the reply. 

This will probably be a really stupid question but what is launchbox? 

My experience with these emulators is only limited to like a couple of days now, I know next to nothing about all this stuff. 

It is the frontend software this forum is about that you are posting in.

Did you set this stuff up yourself?

Did you buy or download one of those prebuilt setups?

18 minutes ago, the_bunker said:

Ah I see, I haven't actually tried using that. My experience is with Demul and the MAME stuff. 

I am downloading this stuff from places like Archive.com and trying to set it up myself.

For Demul some systems it emulates will need bios files. Last Blade 2 since it is a Dreamcast game you will need to make sure you have the bios files for Dreamcast. There are quite a few good youtube videos on setting up Demul to run systems like Dreamcast and others. Some will even link to files you would need. You should be able to find bios sets on archive.

Mame is similar are some arcade boards will require support files like a bios or sound file. If you download a full romset for mame those files are typically in the full set.