LaunchBox Community Forums

Discussion regarding PDF viewer

TheNewClassics

Hey LB team + all, had a quick topic I wanted to run by you. 

I remember when the Pause Screen was being implemented, the LB team was able to implement  having any additional application that was a PDF be seen on the pause screen and it could be pulled up with the PDF reader, which is an awesome feature. Works great for game guides and articles. I do remember during the discussion some talk about trying to save the location in the PDF when the file was opened again, so when someone was referencing a guide from time to time they could keep their location. As I remember, Jason looked into it and said it looked unlikely to be done. This also seems to be what another topic on another board came up with as well:

https://superuser.com/questions/313666/how-to-save-scroll-state-of-pdf-file-in-chrome

Out of curiosity, when it comes to the PDF viewer, would it be a licensing issue to use something like Adobe Reader's free PDF viewer, or perhaps a couple other free PDF viewers? Was looking around at some of the suggestions at this link: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/best-free-pdf-reader. Genuinely curious, as I'm not privy to the semantics of the licensing. There was a couple points on that discussion in Superuser that mentioned chrome's PDF viewer is limited in scope and seems unlikely to be updated. Was hoping to get some general thoughts from the team and other users. I'm also sure this would be a big undertaking if ever implemented, and want to say the setup now works very well and doesn't need any changing.

Thanks all in advance