LaunchBox Community Forums

Can BigBox Display Platform Categories the same way as Launchbox?

mcfilmmakers

So I noticed a difference between Launchbox and Bigbox in that they don't display Platform Ctaegories the same way and realized this can cause an issue of missing games in BigBox. Allow me to demonstrate:

Launchbox will display Platform Categories as follows:

Clicking the playlist shows all games in that playlist
Clicking the platform shows all games in all playlists in that platform, toggle the platform to show all the playlists in that platform which you can click to show only games within that playlist within that platform.
Clicking the category shows all games in all playlists and in all platforms (and all games within in playlists within) in that category, toggle the category to show all platforms and all playlists in that category, which you can click to show all games within that platform/playlist and child playlists if it is a platform within that category.

BigBox instead displays Platform Categories as follows:

Clicking the playlist shows all games in that playlist
Clicking the platform shows only all playlists within that platform. You must select a playlist to show games, but you will only see games belonging to that playlist.
Clicking the category shows only all platforms within that category. You must select a platform to show games but if that platform contains a mix of games and playlists, you must select a playlist to show games but you will only see games belonging to that playlist.

So here's my issue:

Say I have a Category Arcade. That Category contains a bunch of platforms: Shooters, Platformers, etc. So far, simple.

Now I have 7 games: A,B,C,D,E,F,G

I assign games A,B,C to platform Shooters.
I assign games D,E,F,G to platform Platformers.

I then select games D,E,F and assign them to a manual playlist "3rd person". Game G is not a 3rd person platformer so I don't put it in that playlist.

In Launchbox, I can always see game G in the Platformers platform. However, I have no way to know that it isn't part of any playlists.
In BigBox, I cannot see Game G. If I navigate to Platformers, I only see the 3rd person playlist option. I can select that and see games D,E,F. I can back out and look at the Shooters platform and find games A,B,C. Game G is nowhere to be found.

If I go back to Launchbox and assign Game G to a new playlist, Game G will appear in BigBox in that new Playlist. If Game G is not in any playlists, it will never be seen.
Now, I could change the view to Platforms, but that removes both Categories and Playlists, which eliminates the point, but I can see games D,E,F,G in the Platformers category.

If we extrapolate this to thousands of games in the library, there is no way in either Launchbox ro Bigbox to know that game G is not assigned to a playlist and I may never realize that game G is actually never showing up in Big Box.

So my question: Is there a way to make game G show up in BigBox WITHOUT assigning it to a playlist while still being able to show Catgories, Platforms and Playlists (just as is possible in Launchbox?

The first alternative I found involves moving all the playlists from within the Platform into a different category but this means more clutter:

i.e:
Scenario 1 (desired, but doesn't work): 
Arcade (category) - > Platformers (platform) -> playlists + games <- shows only the playlists. Games not in any playlists won't be shown.

Scenario 2 (works):
Arcade (category) - > Platformers (platform) -> games (no playlists in the platform) <- shows all games in the Platformers platform including those not in any playlists
Arcade (category) - > Playlists (category) -> 3rd person platformers (playlist) <- Shows all games in the 3rd person platformers playlist.
Arcade (category) - > Playlists (category) -> 1st person platformers (playlist) <- Shows all games in the 1st person platformers playlist.
etc...

Notice how the workaround requires more wheel space and it only gets worse if I need to further clean up the playlist wheel to add subcategories which match the platform names (I don't want to mix konami with Atari for example):

Scenario 1 (desired, but doesn't work): 
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> platformers (playlist) + Fighting games (playlist) + games <- shows only the playlists. Games not in any playlists won't be shown. I want to be able to see all Konami games along with the playlists.
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> platformers (playlist) +/ Driving games (playlist) + games <- shows only the playlists. Games not in any playlists won't be shown. I want to be able to see all Atari games along with the playlists.

Scenario 2 (works):
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> games (no playlists in the platform) <- shows all games in the Konami platform including those not in any playlists
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> games (no playlists in the platform) <- shows all games in the Atari platform including those not in any playlists
Arcade (category) - > Playlists (category) -> Konami (platform) -> platformers (playlist) <- Shows all games in the konami platformers playlist.
Arcade (category) - > Playlists (category) -> Atari (platform) -> platformers (playlist) <- Shows all games in the atari platformers playlist.
etc...

See how it requires two sets of Konami Platforms and Two Sets of Atari platforms? So while the workaround does allow me to get what I want, it comes at the price of finding the different lists in a different place AND make the Launchbox tree confusing to navigate.

The "include this playlist with platforms" option doesn't seem to change a thing in Bigbox or Launchbox.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

The second alternative I found is to create an "All Games" playlist and/or an "other games" playlist for every single platform but this is just as messy:

Secnario 1 (desired but doesn't work):
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> playlists + games <- shows only the playlists. Games not in any playlists won't be shown.
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> playlists + games <- shows only the playlists. Games not in any playlists won't be shown.

Scenario 2:
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> All Games (playlist) <- Shows all games in the konami platform
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> Platformers (playlist) <- shows only platformer games in the konami platform
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> Fighting (playlist) <- shows only fighting games in the konami platform
Arcade (category) - > Konami (platform) -> Other Games (playlist) <- shows only games not in platformers or fighting playlists in the konami platform
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> All Games (playlist) <- Shows all games in the Atari platform
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> Platformers (playlist) <- shows only platformer games in the Atari platform
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> Driving (playlist) <- shows only driving games in the Atari platform
Arcade (category) - > Atari (platform) -> Other Games (playlist) <- shows only games not in platformers or fighting playlists in the Atari platform

Hopefully this clarifies WHY I want to be able to see games alongside playlists within the platform wheel. Is this at all possible?