LaunchBox Community Forums

Magnavox Odyssey 2 Romset

Clavo

Hi all! This is the first time I am seeking some guidance. I wanted to know what command line I would need to run a specific game from my Odyssey 2 romset using Mame/front in is Launchbox/Bigbox. I can get the games to load in Mame after selecting Odyssey 2, then select the specific game from the list within Mame. My challenge is to get launchbox to load the games directly? If I point launchbox to the Odyssey2.zip, I get a gray screen and no game selections. I was wondering if there is a command line to get specific game to load from within the romset without using Mame. I want to load game individually from Launchbox, Any advise will help!

You'll want to first import the individual games (roms) into LaunchBox.  Then in Manage Emulators -- MAME -- under Associated Platforms, for the Odyssey 2 Platform, set the Default Command-Line Parameters to

odyssey2 -cart

The easiest way I've found to import the MAME software lists (i.e. Odyssey 2) and their games is using the Software List Import plugin.  It should also setup the MAME emulator automatically with the command-line above.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2080-mame-software-lists-import-tool-plugin/

Thank you for the quick response. The specific game I am having a problem loading into launchbox is ( Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).bin) I have located inside the odyssey2.zip file along with o2bios.rom, 3x other SP##-##.bins files. I tried loading the original Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).zip with no luck. Launchbox would not load it, Mame loads it just fine after I go through Odyssey2 selection. I will try that command line and see what happens, I will update in a few. Thanks again for the advise!

image.thumb.png.9c2ac7e6fe9c809707c0b82682301280.pngThis needs to be pointing to the game rom file (i.e. deathrac.zip) to start a game.  Or in your example  "Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).zip"

Thing is though, that's not a normal MAME naming convention.  But you said it loaded directly though MAME, it should load through LB.

Ok, will try that. this was a direct download and not something I got from the romset. I have a race mod and only wanted speedway, spin-out. I also downloaded the mame softlist and put that in the launchbox plugin. I go back and make this correction and see what happens. Thx

I wanted to be clear. In Mame I have to click on Odyssey 2 and then  I get to see all the games from there I select the race rom. Mame only sees Odyssey2.zip, Launchbox will see it and open it through Mame but it gives me a gray screen with no game selections even with your command line. I tried pointing to correct zip as you mentioned but still no luck.

Mame sees Odyssey2 which romset is Odyssesy2.zip. Once you click that and scroll to Speedway rom its romset 3rcspcpt. That rom is embed somewhere in the O2bios.bin I guess. I dont see it? Not sure how to get it load straight from launchbox. Is there another command line I need other than odyssey2 -cart?

odyssey2.zip is the main rom file for the Odyssey 2 Console machine.  It does not store the game (or at least it's not supposed to).  When you click Odyssey 2 in MAME, it pulls the list of all the odyssey 2 games from the file located in  ../Mame/hash/odyssey2.xml.   

I assume you have "odyssey2.zip" located in your  ../Mame/roms  folder. 

Where do you have "3rcsocpt.zip" located on your computer?  That's the file you need to be pointing to in the Edit Game.image.thumb.png.17a4d6b076f1be85548915a5fc8ad881.pngAlso, where ever that file is located, you need to make sure that path is listed in your mame.ini file under rompath.

Yes.  "odyssey2.zip" is located in ../Mame/roms folder.  As far as the 3rcsocpt.zip I dont see that file, I see the name once I'm in Mame select Odyssey 2 and then click on Speeway+Spinout file. Thats where I got the romset name from. I have been searching but that zip is no where to be found. Its there somewhere, mame is picking it up from the Odyssey2.zip. Even when I open the Odyssey2.zip no file by that name is located in there.

This is in the hash file. Does not point to a game location?

<software name="3rcsocpt">
        <description>Race/Spin-Out/Cryptogram (Euro) ~ Speedway/Spin-Out/Crypto-logic (USA)</description>
        <year>1978</year>
        <publisher>Philips (Euro) ~ Magnavox (USA)</publisher>
        <info name="usage" value="Press 1 for Race/Speedway, press 2 for 3-lap Spin-out, press 4 for 15-lap Spin-out, press 5 for Cryptogram/Crypto-logic" />
        <info name="serial" value="AC9400 (USA) ~ 1 (Euro)"/>
        <part name="cart" interface="odyssey_cart">
            <feature name="slot" value="o2_rom" />
            <dataarea name="rom" size="2048">
                <rom name="speedway - spin-out - crypto-logic (usa, europe).bin" size="2048" crc="4eda4917" sha1="29d078f587be2afa4612800c64a5af72705e5681" offset="0" />
            </dataarea>
        </part>
    </software>

Ya, the hash just gives the games name and some other information.

Open MAME, go to Odyssey 2 and then click available.  Start typing "race" and you should see the game.image.thumb.png.768b202f4698770ee60a559e838b4f97.pngScrolling back, earlier you said "Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).bin" was inside "odyssey2.zip".  The only file that should be inside "odyssey2.zip" is "o2bios.rom".  The bin file should be in it's own zip file "3rcsocpt.zip".  At least it's supposed to be.  If your MAME screen looks like the one above, and Speedway... (Race/Spin-Out....) does work [through MAME], AND you don't have "3rcsocpt.zip" anywhere on your computer, I really don't know what to tell you.

I suppose next thing is took at what folders are in your rompath for MAME.   Go to MAME's main screen, double click Configure OptionsConfigure DirectoriesRoms, ....what folders are listed below "Current ROMs Folders"?  "3rcsocpt.zip" should be locate in that (or one of those) folder(s).

If not, next look in your MAME root folder   ( ../Mame/ ) and see if there a file called "odyssey2.ini".  If not look in  ../Mame/ini/  for the same file.  If that file exists in either of those locations, open the file(s) and scroll down to the "rompath" line and see what folders are listed there. If it's different than what you saw before ("Configure Options..."), look in those paths for the illusive "3rcsocpt.zip" file.

If all that fails, open your "odyssey2.zip" file, extract "Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).bin" and then put it in its own zip file called "3rcsocpt.zip" and put that in ../Mame/roms/.  In LB, edit the game and Browse to that [new] zip file and click OK.  See if that works in LB.

Thanks again for the help. Your Mame looks like mine exactly and Odyssey2.zip does only contain the o2bios in there now. I did try before renaming zip to 3rcsocpt.zip with the Speedway + Spin-out + Crypto-logic (USA, Europe).bin in it. It did not work directly from launchbox. Launchbox does load but I get a gray screen. I will review your above carefully and go back through it and ensure I have all bases covered, thanks again for your time. I appreciate it!

Here is what it shows in XML. No ini file to be found. still can not locate the 3rcsocpt.zip. Is there a command line to launch this application line? maybe thats an option?

<ApplicationPath>C:\Users\harle\LaunchBox\Magnavox Odyssey 2 Roms\3rcsocpt.zip</ApplicationPath>
    <Completed>false</Completed>
    <DateAdded>2020-05-18T09:33:03.4110673-05:00</DateAdded>
    <DateModified>2020-05-18T09:33:03.4110673-05:00</DateModified>
    <Emulator>413a4883-b320-434e-abe1-eb2131cc1493</Emulator>
    <Favorite>false</Favorite>
    <ID>1c8e8798-5937-4d13-bd88-b0abd1910255</ID>
    <Platform>Magnavox Odyssey 2</Platform>
    <ScummVMAspectCorrection>false</ScummVMAspectCorrection>
    <ScummVMFullscreen>false</ScummVMFullscreen>
    <StarRatingFloat>0</StarRatingFloat>
    <StarRating>0</StarRating>
    <CommunityStarRating>0</CommunityStarRating>
    <CommunityStarRatingTotalVotes>0</CommunityStarRatingTotalVotes>
    <Title>Race/Spin-Out/Cryptogram (Euro) ~ Speedway/Spin-Out/Crypto-logic (USA)</Title>
    <UseDosBox>false</UseDosBox>
    <UseScummVM>false</UseScummVM>

Does the file exist here:   "C:\Users\harle\LaunchBox\Magnavox Odyssey 2 Roms\3rcsocpt.zip" ???  Do any zip files exist in that folder?

The command line from the DOS prompt could be as simple as "mame64.exe osyssey2 -cart 3rcsocpt"

BUT.....  in the case above, you'd want the full path name

mame64.exe odyssey2 -cart "C:\Users\harle\LaunchBox\Magnavox Odyssey 2 Roms\3rcsocpt.zip"

Edited by JoeViking245

I went to the LB/ Magnavox Odyssey2 folder and no games are in there. I did try renaming the zip to 3rcsocpt.zip and also put the bin in there. I pointed LB rom path to it nothing happen. I tried it leaving it in the LB/ M Odyssey 2 folder and tried it putting it in Mame/ Roms folder. Nothing! The only way LB has opened it with a gray screen is pointing it to odyssey2.zip. I can not seem to figure out why even with commandline you gave before I still get gray screen.

I will try your recent reply. Thx Joe!

Put the full path in custom command line parameters "mame64.exe odyssey2 -cart "C:\Users\harle\LaunchBox\Magnavox Odyssey 2 Roms\3rcsocpt.zip" with zip in the LB/Magnavox Odyssey2 roms folders.  Just says loading then nothing! I will keep messing with it, I must be missing something somewhere. Thanks again for taking the time. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

LaunchBox will put the emulator executable at the beginning of the custom command line parameter and the rom file name at the end automatically.  So scratch that. lol  But I like how you're thinking!! :) 

Under Manage Emulators -- MAME.... Do you have these boxes checked?  (Actually, share a snapshot of it [Details tab])image.thumb.png.69f95d09ab0283080ca19118e333080c.png 

Do you have any other Odyssey 2 games you'll be setting up?  Or just the one?  If others, where are they located and are they in zip format using MAME's short name style?   Like "3rcsocpt.zip"

sorry no other games for this Magnavox Odyssey 2. I only wanted the Speedway and spinout for this race mod cabinet. I have over 300 race games using many emulators all work great etc. This M Odyssey 2 using Mame is killing me!