LaunchBox Community Forums

Launching BigBox when LaunchBox is already running

Dolce Ardore

When I have LaunchBox already running on my system, launching BigBox.exe activates the LaunchBox window but it does not switch into BigBox mode.  Is there a way (maybe a command-line switch?) to make it so that launching BigBox will open BigBox mode even if LaunchBox is already running?  (The reason I am asking is that I want to use BigBox via SteamLink.)

2 hours ago, Dolce Ardore said:

When I have LaunchBox already running on my system, launching BigBox.exe activates the LaunchBox window but it does not switch into BigBox mode.  Is there a way (maybe a command-line switch?) to make it so that launching BigBox will open BigBox mode even if LaunchBox is already running?  (The reason I am asking is that I want to use BigBox via SteamLink.)

You cannot have them both open at the same time. If you have LB open and want to then run BB instead you have to launch BB from within the LB menu option. Depending on the LB theme you are using there should be an option to launch BB in the upper left menu items.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 7.57.23 PM.png

Thanks for your reply.   Unfortunately, this does not work, because the LaunchBox window is only temporarily activated, and the Steam window is re-activated again after a second or two.  This is because when the BigBox.exe process terminates, Steam assumes that the "game" has closed and returns the user to the Steam launcher.  Even without this issue, having to use Ctrl+B or the LaunchBox menu within SteamLink is rather painful.

The best solution I have come up with so far is to create a KillLaunchBox.bat batch file, add that as a Non-Steam Game, and then launch it from Steam when I need to kill LaunchBox in order to run BigBox.  Of course, this is pretty clunky and runs the risk of issues if LaunchBox happens to get killed in the middle of updating its database or other persistent state.

If BigBox could gracefully terminate LaunchBox when it is started, that would be an almost ideal solution.

KillLaunchBox.bat

• Like 1