LaunchBox Community Forums

x-arcade help with controller detection

GamesProf

Greetings and thanks in advance for any help. I have an X-arcade Lumber Jaques cabinet, and I finally decided to upgrade Mame and move to Bigbox. I watched the tutorial on setting the tankstick controls in Bigbox and according to the X-arcade site, the cabinet controller setup should function just the same. However, when I go into Bigbox to set the controls, it is only detecting the first player controls. The second player controls are not showing up at all. Any ideas what I need to do in order to get the second player joystick and buttons to be recognized as well?

-Bill

3 minutes ago, GamesProf said:

Greetings and thanks in advance for any help. I have an X-arcade Lumber Jaques cabinet, and I finally decided to upgrade Mame and move to Bigbox. I watched the tutorial on setting the tankstick controls in Bigbox and according to the X-arcade site, the cabinet controller setup should function just the same. However, when I go into Bigbox to set the controls, it is only detecting the first player controls. The second player controls are not showing up at all. Any ideas what I need to do in order to get the second player joystick and buttons to be recognized as well?

-Bill

BigBox does not have a 1 Player and 2 Player setting. It just maps keys or gamepad controls for functioning inside the BigBox UI. For the Xarcade if you are using the default setting it will be mapped in BigBox under the keyboard mappings and keyboard automation.

Hi, thanks. Yes, it is mapping the first joystick and buttons but doesn't seem to be detecting the second joystick and button even though they share the same usb input and worked fine in the old setup. I've tried checking the BB settings to show all controllers, but for whatever reason, only the first joystick and buttons are showing up as configurable. In the youtube tutorial, Tanksticks were showing up as showing both joysticks in the configuration.

Thanks,

Bill

Just now, GamesProf said:

Hi, thanks. Yes, it is mapping the first joystick and buttons but doesn't seem to be detecting the second joystick and button even though they share the same usb input and worked fine in the old setup. I've tried checking the BB settings to show all controllers, but for whatever reason, only the first joystick and buttons are showing up as configurable. In the youtube tutorial, Tanksticks were showing up as showing both joysticks in the configuration.

Thanks,

Bill

Do you have the tri-mode pcb version of the Tankstick? If so what mode do you have it in?

Default mode is keyboard so checking use all controllers would not do anything for the Tankstick. That would only be needed if you are using Xinput or Dinput mode.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Do you have the tri-mode pcb version of the Tankstick? If so what mode do you have it in?

Default mode is keyboard so checking use all controllers would not do anything for the Tankstick. That would only be needed if you are using Xinput or Dinput mode.

Ok, I did some reading, and I believe it would be.  It is the Lumber Jaques cabinet, so it's a bit older, but they say it uses the same setup as the X-arcade, presumably the dual, without the trackball like the Tankstick has that is listed here: https://support.xgaming.com/support/solutions/articles/12000003075

The setup for the controls just has the usb plugged in and not a ps2 to the keyboard, so I believe that means it would be the tri-mode if I'm reading that correctly as it seems like those that were not tri-mode required the keyboard plugin to function. Maybe I can try plugging in the keyboard adapter as well and seeing if that does anything - never had to use that before with MAME but could see if that does anything if you'd suggest it. It's a bit hard to get to as I need to remove the back panel for the cabinet but could give it a go.

Thanks,

Bill

8 minutes ago, GamesProf said:

Ok, I did some reading, and I believe it would be.  It is the Lumber Jaques cabinet, so it's a bit older, but they say it uses the same setup as the X-arcade, presumably the dual, without the trackball like the Tankstick has that is listed here: https://support.xgaming.com/support/solutions/articles/12000003075

The setup for the controls just has the usb plugged in and not a ps2 to the keyboard, so I believe that means it would be the tri-mode if I'm reading that correctly as it seems like those that were not tri-mode required the keyboard plugin to function. Maybe I can try plugging in the keyboard adapter as well and seeing if that does anything - never had to use that before with MAME but could see if that does anything if you'd suggest it. It's a bit hard to get to as I need to remove the back panel for the cabinet but could give it a go.

Thanks,

Bill

Ok, sorry. No I don't think I have that. It is just keyboard mode, no options for setting different modes.

-Bill

I do not think that one is a trimode. They usually emphasize that in their system details. Not all non trimode versions had to have a ps2 to keyboard connected. There was an update to the pcb that did away with that before they made the trimode version.

So when you go into keyboard mappings and try to map, lets say the Up command, it will not let you set it to the right player 2 up movement?

Safe to assume if you open something like notepad and move the P2 controller it is registering letters?

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I do not think that one is a trimode. They usually emphasize that in their system details. Not all non trimode versions had to have a ps2 to keyboard connected. There was an update to the pcb that did away with that before they made the trimode version.

So when you go into keyboard mappings and try to map, lets say the Up command, it will not let you set it to the right player 2 up movement?

Safe to assume if you open something like notepad and move the P2 controller it is registering letters?

Ok, I'm an idiot - got it working. Totally user error. Thanks for the super fast replies - excited to finish the transition. Thanks a bunch!