LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not opening all games (MAME64)...

augie42875

Apologies first since I am a new entry into Launchbox...

I've loaded a bunch of Arcade ROMs (using emulator mame64.exe) and initially had issues loading anything.  I figured out creating the .ini file and then was super excited when the games began working.

The more I looked through games, I found that not all the ROMs loaded (of course on some of my more favorite ones).  Thought maybe it was the ROM file itself so tried other download options but same problem.

On some of the games you can see the MAME program try to load starting with the black screen and then pop off.  Other times I try to load it and the game doesn't run at all. 

I included some screen shots of a particular game that is giving me fits and my settings.  For WrestleFest below I choose to open using Mame and nothing happens at all.

Any assistance on where I can start would be fully appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.dbddcb8393c34cd58dec2e15a7b0cbaa.pngimage.thumb.png.bb3f30c280a8020d1a082f67cced8f30.png

Honestly, I downloaded different romsets when I was first messing up not realizing I needed to create the .ini file.  I believe the one I finally used was 1u-mame-139 (which now when I am researching that set seems to be for Droid not PC).  Emulater version I am using with this is  mame64.exe (0.221).

I think I might be answering my own questions as I write this....  First step is to delete the roms I downloaded for Droid and reload a set that is designed for a PC?

1 minute ago, augie42875 said:

Honestly, I downloaded different romsets when I was first messing up not realizing I needed to create the .ini file.  I believe the one I finally used was 1u-mame-139 (which now when I am researching that set seems to be for Droid not PC).  Emulater version I am using with this is  mame64.exe (0.221).

I think I might be answering my own questions as I write this....  First step is to delete the roms I downloaded for Droid and reload a set that is designed for a PC?

The roms should work, but you would need to use version 0.139 of MAME, not version 0.221. I would add though that that is a very very old MAME romset, so emulation will be worse and you will be missing games that work now but didnt then.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, augie42875 said:

So you would suggest me using a newer set of roms, then version 0.221 would work?  If I wanted to use what I have now (which i am leaning against not doing), I would have to download mame version 0.139?

If you want to use the set you currently have then yes you need that matching version of the emulator, there will be a ton of games from 0.139 that simply will not work in current versions of the emulator.

Get version 0.139 from the below link, but bare in mind its a ten year old version of the emulator at this point and great strides in performance and accuracy have been made in ten years.

https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

• Thanks 1

Based on what you said about how old my set is I think I'd rather look for a newer set of ROMs.  Thank you so much for all your help.  I'll start the search and let you know if I have any follow-up questions.  

(as for as looking for the newer set, assuming using our best friend Google is the best bet?)

5 minutes ago, augie42875 said:

Based on what you said about how old my set is I think I'd rather look for a newer set of ROMs.  Thank you so much for all your help.  I'll start the search and let you know if I have any follow-up questions.  

(as for as looking for the newer set, assuming using our best friend Google is the best bet?)

Just google "internet archive mame 0.221" the first result is what you want, a 0.221 merged set as a torrent.

• Thanks 1