LaunchBox Community Forums

Do "Plug & Play" games from MAME go in Arcade or somewhere else?

Z3R0B4NG

MAME has added a new Turtles game to it's set and there is no DB entry for it yet. I want to add it but i'm not sure where in the DB because it is not really an "Arcade" game but one of these Plug & Play TV games... there is no extra category for those either.  

MAME also has those Nintendo Game & Watch LCD games, those do have an extra category in the DB of their own.  

2118.jpg

4a7746d790d2020ccc637d880e9df4e1.jpg?_ve

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Battle_for_the_City

Do i just add this to the Arcade section so it can be found when importing the MAME set or what do i do?

Edited by Z3R0B4NG

On 7/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, Z3R0B4NG said:

MAME has added a new Turtles game to it's set and there is no DB entry for it yet. I want to add it but i'm not sure where in the DB because it is not really an "Arcade" game but one of these Plug & Play TV games... there is no extra category for those either.  

MAME also has those Nintendo Game & Watch LCD games, those do have an extra category in the DB of their own.  

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Battle_for_the_City

Do i just add this to the Arcade section so it can be found when importing the MAME set or what do i do?

There are a number of items like this. The ROMs like the one for the Macintosh 512ke, Merlin and Master Merlin, the Palm and phone ROMs and the Tamagotchi are all part of my collection. Some of these qualify as games like your TMNT game, the Merlin games and the Tamagotchi, but unfortunately Launchbox doesn't have a platform set aside for these items at the moment. This is probably one of the reasons that the Arcade platform isn't called the MAME platform, to distinguish arcade games from this type of ROM. 

Of course you can add these to your local\personal Arcade platform manually and add graphics as I have done for mine or even make a custom platform section for them. But the global database at the moment doesn't have a platform area set aside for them.