LaunchBox Community Forums

Really quick way of backing up your launchbox folder...

Johnny T

Hi all,

I run my LB/BB on a cabinet but keep a back up of the whole launchbox folder on an external hard drive (well... an "internal" hard drive that's in a caddy attached to my main PC).

If there's not many 'tweaks' I use SyncThing to sync the two folders up over the wifi. However, at the moment, I'm making big changes so I backup the hard drive locally as there's too much data for the wifi.

After a bit of Googling I found out about "Robocopy" which is built into Windows (W10 anyway - not sure about earlier versions) which is a multi-threaded command line copy program.

So I made a little .bat script and I'm pleased to report that it works an absolute treat!! Loads quicker than just copying the whole folder and pasting on to the other folder (which is the other alternative). 

You can read about it here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/robocopy

Here's my batch script (obviously you will have to change the paths to match your system - oh... and it goes without saying... use at your own risk!! If you mess something up then don't say I didn't warn ya!!!)

@echo off

title Arcade Backup Script
echo Press a key to back up F:/LaunchBox to G:/LaunchBox
pause
robocopy F:\LaunchBox G:\LaunchBox *.* /mt /z /purge /e
echo Job done mucker!
pause

Hope it helps someone. ?

• Like 1