LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Stability and Crash Issues

X3R0X

I'm extremely new to the world of emulation.  But I recently finished building a full size arcade cabinet and am powering a MAME emulation through Launchbox/Mame 0.220 emulator.  I've used the Killer, No Filler lists (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149708.0.html) for the few hundred MAME titles I support.  I am using an IPAC4 for the control controller, and have mapped out the buttons through the WINIPAC software.

However, I have found that in many cases, if multiple buttons are pressed from both 1 player and 2 player can cause LaunchBox/BigBox to crash.  While "not pressing those buttons" might seem like an obvious choice, when you have multiple people playing, that's not an acceptable option.

Is there anyway to track what's causing that, and how to stop it?

1 hour ago, X3R0X said:

I'm extremely new to the world of emulation.  But I recently finished building a full size arcade cabinet and am powering a MAME emulation through Launchbox/Mame 0.220 emulator.  I've used the Killer, No Filler lists (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149708.0.html) for the few hundred MAME titles I support.  I am using an IPAC4 for the control controller, and have mapped out the buttons through the WINIPAC software.

However, I have found that in many cases, if multiple buttons are pressed from both 1 player and 2 player can cause LaunchBox/BigBox to crash.  While "not pressing those buttons" might seem like an obvious choice, when you have multiple people playing, that's not an acceptable option.

Is there anyway to track what's causing that, and how to stop it?

Can you clarify what you mean by multiple buttons? Is it any random combination of buttons or specific buttons from each side? Does it only occur while in a game or can you be in BigBox and hit buttons and it close?

Also does it crash with an error or just simply close out?

15 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by multiple buttons? Is it any random combination of buttons or specific buttons from each side? Does it only occur while in a game or can you be in BigBox and hit buttons and it close?

Also does it crash with an error or just simply close out?

I wish I could be more specific.  Basically, it seems to happen haphazardly, most of the time when going into a game, and two people are playing and each mash some buttons (e.g. to skip opening screens or just to get the game to get to the insert credit/select player screens).   I don't know what exact buttons are pressed simultaneously or in what order.   But, generally they are the start, coin 1 or 2, player 1 or 2, and button 1 of the main controls.  

There is no error unfortunately.  It just closes BigBox and you're back to the desktop.  If there are logs somewhere I can review, I'd be happy to.

Sounds like maybe you have a set of buttons/keys mapped inside BigBox for the "Exit" command. Inside BigBox go to either Keyboard or Controller mapping section and look at the command for "Exit" if you have anything mapped there that specifically is for exiting BigBox. Not for exiting a game. Although you did say this happens in "LaunchBox/BigBox" eluding to both so that may not be the case. But I would start there.