LaunchBox Community Forums

Imported games from GOG/Steam/Uplay etc.

Luckspeare

Again, fairly new to using Launchbox, and searched the forum and didn't find anything on-point so forgive me if this has been covered.

Wondering if there's a way to manually set flags associated with distribution platforms without editing files directly.  Specifically, and as an example, I import my GOG games list, and there's this DOS game I've installed.  I don't want to run it through GOG, though I prefer to have it flagged as GOG-sourced.  So I move the relevant files from the game's install directory to where I keep all my DOS games for DOSBox emulation.  I then change the game entry to emulate via DOSBox using my own .conf file.  But when I double-click on the game, it still takes me to the GOG game page instead of running DOSBox on it.  I can find no appropriate entries when I edit the game to change this behavior.

So, is there any way to have it run the game conventionally (as opposed to having the GOG Galaxy client call it) as the default?  (I'm aware I can do so through the Additional Apps method, but I'd prefer not to.)

And is there any way to manually assign (or remove) GOG or Steam or whatever flags to a game?  (Without just recreating a new entry.)

Edited by Luckspeare
clarification

You have two options, leave the GOG import in and add an additional application that points to the dos game and make it default. There is also an option in Options > Integrations > GOG to try and launch the game directly instead of through GOG Galaxy.

You cannot associate games to GOG without doing so through the importer currently. Steam all you have to do is have the games application path (or any additional applications path) as a Steam path.

• Thanks 1

Neither option seems to work, though I may be doing something wrong.

For Might & Magic: World of Xeen, I set up an Additional App (XEEN.EXE), then checkmark "Use DOSBox", then press OK and Make Default.  When I double-click on the game I get the "specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform".  I do have the .conf set up in the Launching -> DOSBox section.  I also have "Use DOSBox to play this game" checkmarked, though that section probably doesn't apply to Additional Apps entries.  I also don't see a place to specify .conf file when adding a DOSBox-emulated executable in Additional Apps.  (Is it just done through an entry on the command line?)

For the second solution, I'm not seeing that option in Integrations Options -> GOG.  I see "Launch games through GOG Galaxy Client (when possible)" and I have it unchecked.  Is it in an experimental build?

Nah I was going off of memory. The option you refer to is indeed the one I meant and should be unchecked. Though it sounds like you are still using the Gog version as the primary, Create an additional application that points to xeen,exe. Then in the edit game form, select that app and select "Make Default". Then in the edit game screen you can make the DOSBox changes you are referring to.

Yep, did that and it gave that error.  Or, to be more precise, instead of going to the GOG store page for that game, it just gives that "not a valid executable" error, so it looks like it's not actually using DOSBox to run it, even though that is checked.

And I guess it looks like it's not respecting the Launch games through GOG Galaxy Client when possible setting when it's unchecked.  Again, unless I'm screwing something up.

Edited by Luckspeare

So the option "Launch games through GOG Galaxy when possible" is unchecked, and I set up MS-DOS games pretty much the same across the board, and results are inconsistent.  Some work -- Betrayal at Krondor, for example.  On the other hand, it doesn't work with Bloodnet.  I tested, and if "<GogAppId>1207661913</GogAppId>" is removed from the platform database entry for Bloodnet, it runs properly when I double-click on it.  But if I put that line back in, I get the "we can't verify who created this file, are you sure you want to run this file?" error, followed by the "specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform" error.  It doesn't seem to be running it through DOSBox if that GogAppID is in there.

I can certainly just comment it out for my own usage, so the workaround is clear, but I thought I'd give more info in case it helps to nail the issue down.  Let me know if you need any more info from me.