LaunchBox Community Forums

Trigger image animation on specific action?

mgerety

I'm creating a theme for multi-game driving cabinets.  I want to be able to turn the steering wheel to the left when someone moves the game wheel left, and right when someone moves the game wheel right.  I can create a "turn 15 degrees left, pause, turn back straight" animation for the wheel image, and one for right turn, but I'm not understanding if it's possible to trigger the left animation when the "move wheel left" action happens in BigBox.

Any Suggestions?

That is an interesting problem! I have put about 15-20 hours in the theme editor so far on a theme that I'm cooking up. What you are asking is doable I can assure but it may not be easy. I don't fully know how you would do this but I have have part of it solved in my head. Instead of having something trigger which animation plays, I think it would be more doable to have two separate wheels in the exact same location. The animations would be set to "During Selection" and there would also be some clever opacity switching so basically if you had just used the left one, the right one would instantly fade in and the left would fade out. The real problem is...how does is know you've done right or left? I think this will have to require some small amount of code. Some sort of "if,  then" statement or something (I'm not good at that sort of thing). To do this without coding anything will require serious clever thinking. 

I don't see how you could even do this with code.  I've looked at the assemblies and the events and properties that the base ViewModel exposes, and I don't see anything that I could use to determine the right/left movement.  I've submitted a enhancement request to expose "MoveLeft/MoveRight" as events, or at minimum to expose "last keypress" or "last action" for these.  Unless there's some way to write a plugin that could hook very low level into the input stream, I don't know how to do this.

If anyone knows of a way to do that, let me know.  I have no issue writing something to do this.

Thanks,