LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving Steam library breaks launch application

Vcelestino

Evening community

Was hoping someone could assist...

So, my Steam library was previously working successfully. I moved my Steam library to a different drive using the following instructions 

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129&l=english

Games have been moved successfully, and cache verified. I am able to run the games directly from the Steam client. 

However, attempting to run from Launchbox presents the attached error. I tried to delete the games from LaunchBox and reimport, but running into the same issue.

The Application Path in the Launch section of the properties show as

steam://rungameid/307690

I take it this command is still referencing the previous location. I don't know how to update it to reference the new location without uninstalling / reinstalling Steam to the new drive, then re-import the library into LB.

Because I didn't do a full uninstall of Steam and moved the drive location, I know the registry keys may still reference the old location. Maybe something there? Not sure, was hoping for a second set of eyes. Any logs I can upload?

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.9df34356e99f14ddbf23125523e954c2.png

To my knowledge Steam doesn't store application location via the registry which is why the link you provided works. Steam DOES register the "steam://rungameid/" command on install which tells the OS to launch Steam. Maybe try running the Steam installer and let it repair itself (think Steam MAY have that option in their client as well, though I do not know for sure) and see if that helps. I admit though this is the first time I've ever heard of this issue so I can't be 100% sure.

1647808032_Screenshot2020-10-03095747.thumb.png.40f08565944b7292634b61e80cee7420.pngSo after some digging, it seems there were a few registry keys that referenced the old drive mapping. Initially I was going to go through the registry to update the drive letter from D to G (powershell FTW), but then it was faster to just remap the drive to mirror the registry. Work smarter,not harder.

After remapping the drives, all games launch successfully.

Thanks.