LaunchBox Community Forums

Struggle is real.

johnnyv015

Ok, so I have dabbled in Mame in the past, but I am now attempting to make a dedicated machine. 

I have a PC with Mame/Launchbox/and a rom set. 

I have installed everything and loaded the romset into Launchbox. I Created my INI, set to rom folder. 

I still have an issue when launching arcade games, that only 2% or so work. almost every game flashes mame on the screen for a split second when launching before sending me back to launchbox.... 

any ideas? 

Just now, johnnyv015 said:

Ok, so I have dabbled in Mame in the past, but I am now attempting to make a dedicated machine. 

I have a PC with Mame/Launchbox/and a rom set. 

I have installed everything and loaded the romset into Launchbox. I Created my INI, set to rom folder. 

I still have an issue when launching arcade games, that only 2% or so work. almost every game flashes mame on the screen for a split second when launching before sending me back to launchbox.... 

any ideas? 

What version is your romset and what version is your mame emulator?

8 minutes ago, johnnyv015 said:

I am using the most recent Mame download (0.225) from the site and this rom set. 

Please do not link to copywrited materials like roms or bios files on these forums, thank you.

That pack in your link is not a actual mame romset. It's a limited selection of games from the 2003 romset (thats actually from the year 2003) they are that old as they are for running on a raspberry pi that can not run current versions of MAME. The pack you downloaded was 1.93GB correct? A correct MAME romset would be at least 60GB in size.

So i assume what has happened here is you used the MAME fullset import wizard in Launchbox for not a fullset. So you have all the games that work showing in Launchbox, but you dont have the actual files for those games. The Launchbox fullset importer goes off of the actual MAME data as to what games work, it doesnt actually scan your files, hence Launchbox showing games you dont have and cant launch.

• Thanks 1

You can use that limited romset, but you would need to delete your current platform and import them again just using the standard rom import wizard and not the MAME fullset one. You would also need to change your emulator, you would need to download a version of MAME from 2003 (these are available on their website as well under the older releases page) or use the mame 2003 core in Retroarch (which is probably what is used when running those games on a Pi).

• Like 1