LaunchBox Community Forums

[DEBATE] Criteria about CARTS AND CARTRIDGES

Freestate

We need to adress this issue to provide good sets.

In the past weeks, months, we are moving clear cart images created with card templates due to the lack of reconstructed tag and the persistence of some fellows to keep tacky cart photos in the cart category to provide an homogeneous set of carts for the ones who want good quality sets. Seriously, we need to adress this issue and get rid of NOT ARRANGED, RESTORED CARTS in the database. We had exactly the same issue with boxes in the past. Some users insisted on keeping dirty, misplaced, unrestored boxes in the database giving them prioriry over reconstructed and restored ones. That´s why the category reconstructed emerged, but the time goes and that´s a reality that most of the people prefer launchbox as a way to provide cleaner and restored art and not as a preservation vault and every dirty and non adressed cleaned box went away and was replaced with better and cleaner art. I think that we must modify the criteria about carts and discs, and give priority to homogeneous carts cleaned and recreated with templates in the first category and use the fancart category only for not retail art (workarounds for digital games and fanregion based art). In a nutshell, carts are messy to scan, they have curves, materials that could trigger strange brights or shadows, sources are mixed, and using it from their original sources, ended as having messy and tacky sets, not eye candy and they doesn´t work to provide a good experience when you navigate in bigbox themes.

My proposal is to stablish a consensus about using voted community templates to give the carts section an homogeneous appeal, and get rid of not cleaned images. You know, diferent perspectives, angles, shadows, without their background cleaned. etc.

In snes category for example i´m using two diferent templates. Not optimal but clean enough. The first one is to replace carts with a real cart photo but arranged in a pretty neat aspect and the other is a recreation template (no so faitful as the real one but cleaner and the most common used in hyperspin previously created art.

What do you thing?

8ad979d8-d6ce-4b0e-b4bc-d17e3d5f3724.png

bc42c070-39c7-431b-bcc3-3d5a0c0df5c2.png

This two are an efford to provide CLEAN ART. AND HERE WE GO... THAT´S THE ACTUAL STATE OF SOME ENTRIES...

c569deaf-2bd0-4ef1-8812-12ee5ccb5b9c.jpg shadows, dirtyness, not cleaned backgrounda, and it´s not the worst example, there´s others with crazy perspectives or not straight angles.

Edited by Freestate

On 10/22/2020 at 6:15 PM, DOS76 said:

You do know they are called carts short for cartridge not cards?

My Bad, dude! English is not my native language. Corrected. Thanks! Want do you think about the topic?

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/5688/add-reconstructed-and-fan-tag-for-every

Edited by Freestate