LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME metadata VS. LB meta?

WraithTDK

I'm getting ready to import my arcade ROMS. It's a Mame 2003 Plus set; but I intend to use Retroarch with that core. When importing, it asks if I want to force using MAME metadata. What's the difference between this and LB's metadata? Is one noticeably better? Would it be better to import them using import > Mame arcade full set and then just change the emulator associated with Arcade? Or does that not matter? Anything else I should consider?

Edited by WraithTDK

If you are importing Mame rom files you do not need to check the Force using Mame meta box since you are still using Mame through RA. Also, the Mame Full Set import option should only be run with the most recent set of Mame roms (I am actually not sure what version our Mame.xml file is on right now) as that importer is checking them against latest Mame.xml for known working roms.  Since you are using such an old set of Mame roms you may get some incorrect inclusions or exclusions as roms might have changed names or had updated dumps since your set.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

If you are importing Mame rom files you do not need to check the Force using Mame meta box since you are still using Mame through RA. Also, the Mame Full Set import option should only be run with the most recent set of Mame roms (I am actually not sure what version our Mame.xml file is on right now) as that importer is checking them against latest Mame.xml for known working roms.  Since you are using such an old set of Mame roms you may get some incorrect inclusions or exclusions as roms might have changed names or had updated dumps since your set.

Gotcha. Thanks for the information; what about MAME metadata vs. LB using Final Burn Neo? I was going to go with Mame 2003 Plus because I'm setting up on an Nvidia Shield, and that's the latest MAME core available on Android TV; but ATV does have FBN, and I'm hearing good things; so maybe I'll grab a set of FBN roms. Should I force MAME meta, or just use standard LB?