LaunchBox Community Forums

VirtualBox in LaunchBox (Quick tutorial)

Retro_Rage

Hey guys! I was just typing something in another forum about my collection and realized that (I don't think) anyone ever posted about how it is quite easy to launch directly into a VirtualBox system from a "game" on Launchbox. Forgive me if it does exist but I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I figured this out a while ago because I have a category in my systems named "Operating Systems" that launch directly into the Virtual Machines from LaunchBox. If it's already been discussed than a mod can just delete this.

First just setup VirtualBox and make sure that the system that you want to boot into is working perfectly.

Then just create a folder somewhere (mine is a directory in the Luanchbox install directory called "Operating Systems"). Now just simply drag from the VirtualBox window directly into that directory and it will automatically create a shortcut to launch that machine.

Now all you have to do is setup LaunchBox to import that shortcut as you would a regular PC game, aka without an emulator so it only launches the shortcut. If I remember correctly I believed I had to add them via the add button. Do not import as it follows the link and doesn't start the shortcut directly.

Pretty darn easy. Still a few caveats, still working out how to get it full screen and stuff but it works pretty flawlessly.

Hope that helps someone, or maybe gives some of ya some other stuff for your collections!

8 hours ago, Retro_Rage said:

Pretty darn easy. Still a few caveats, still working out how to get it full screen and stuff but it works pretty flawlessly.

I got it working fullscreen using VBoxManage.exe as the emulator and the " startvm " command line parameter. I had this set up almost 2 years ago, so I don't remember if it took some additional tinkering to run it fullscreen.

Edit Emulator.jpg

Edit Game.jpg

Edit Game 2.jpg

Because I thought it would be fun, I also have added a Operating System platform to LaunchBox. Currently I have the following OS'ses: Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mac OS Mojave, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Android x86. But seeing as I mostly use VMware Workstation Player, I decided to share my settings using vmware-kvm.exe as the emulator.

Edit Emulator.jpg

Edit Game.jpg

Edit Game 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Koroth said:

I got it working fullscreen using VBoxManage.exe as the emulator and the " startvm " command line parameter. I had this set up almost 2 years ago, so I don't remember if it took some additional tinkering to run it fullscreen.

Edit Emulator.jpg

Edit Game.jpg

Edit Game 2.jpg

Thanks for this, when I get home tonight Im going to try and switch a few to this method and see if it that works better.