LaunchBox Community Forums

PS1 Games crash after merging the files

bigbootykilla

Hi,

I have added my PS1 collection to LB. After I added then successfully, I saw that many Games appreared several times in the LB list. It happens when there are several discs from the game e.g. Final Fantasy IX. This game has 4 Discs. I played it unmerged and the game worked fine. After I merged the files to one the game starts, the playstation logo popped up and in the next screen it freezes. After I unmerged the files it was working fine again.

I am using the psxe Emulator.

The file name from the game here is:

Final Fantasy IX (Germany) (Disc 1).bin

Final Fantasy IX (Germany) (Disc 2).bin

Final Fantasy IX (Germany) (Disc 3).bin

Final Fantasy IX (Germany) (Disc 4).bin

There are no other files e.g. a .cue file inside the folder. Does anyone have a tip why it crashes after merging them? It also happens to all the other multiple Disc Games  too after merging them.

With the "4 games" in LB, is there ever a need to actually launch "Disc 2" or "Disc 3" or "Disc 4" directly from LaunchBox?  If not, just remove those last 3 from LB.

When you say "merged", are you talking "Combined Selected Games" so that three of those are now Additional Apps to one?image.png.a1ce7020250354e8896a0b19325cdd23.png

If so, make sure your Main/Default game is pointing to "Disc 1".  If it's not or you are unsure, edit the [Combined] games and look at the "Additional Apps" section.  It'll show all 4 discs.  Highlight the one for "Disc 1" and click "Make Default" and then click OK.

If you're talking you did something to physically merge the 4 bin files into one single bin file...  Don't do that. ;) 

Edited by JoeViking245

Yes I combined the selected games! I didnt merge them to a single file. I did now what you said. I went to edit the  combined games and set the disc 1 as default like you explained, but it still crashes. As far as I remembered Final Fantasy needed all 3 discs during the game. It says at a certain point of the game to change the disc.

I uploaded three screenshots that you can see what I did. On the last picture (Playstation Logo) you can see where it crashes after I started the game. I tried it with different games. Same problem, even if it has a cue file in it like in "Alone in the Dark".

Launchbox combined games.jpg

Launchbox standard app.jpg

Crash Screen.jpg

Someone else is going to have to help. I've never worked with multi-discs.

This doesn't make sense though.  Either way [combined or separated], when you double click the "Disc 1" image, LaunchBox is telling the emulator load Disc 1.  No more. No less.

Out of curiosity, with them combined, if you right click the game/image and then left click the one that says it's for Disc 1, do you get the same thing?

Out of curiosity, with them combined, if you right click the game/image and then left click the one that says it's for Disc 1, do you get the same thing?

Yes I get the same thing, but if I rightklick and open the epsxe emulator manually from Launchbox and choose disc 1 in the epsxe emulator, even when they are combined, it is working from the epsxe emulator.

Edited by bigbootykilla

On 11/25/2020 at 6:31 AM, JoeViking245 said:

is there ever a need to actually launch "Disc 2" or "Disc 3" or "Disc 4" directly from LaunchBox?

If the games (Disc's) are not combined in LaunchBox, (so 4 "different games") and you double click the one for "Disc 1", I think you indicated that it starts and runs the game as it should.   If the answer to the above question is "no", you should be able to just remove the 3 remaining 'discs' from LaunchBox.