Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

.Net Errors. Cannot launch LaunchBox or BigBox


Recommended Posts

Anyone else having .net errors when attempting to launch Bigbox or LaunchBox? I get the .net error in the event viewer, followed by the application error. It worked yesterday, and last updates were installed on 11/12.  Event Viewer logs have been attached.

Launchbox version was 11.7. I did opt to install 11.8 at a later date. It is portable running off an external HD. No issues prior to today.

My .net build is currently listed as 528372, which is 4.8 (source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed#detect-net-framework-45-and-later-versions)

Tried the following so far:


Disabling .net in Windows Features. Followed by restart, checking for updates, reenabling .net, and another restart.

Can't find too much documentation on reinstalling .net, and I don't want to try to reinstall Launchbox at this point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance


Edit: new troubleshooting step

I did download updated LB files from the site and extracted them to a temp location on the c: drive. LB does launch successfully. Also was able to successfully apply my license. I overwrote the .exe, and .dat files on the external drive (did not copy the folders), but unable to run directly from the external, as I am greeted with the same .net errors.  


Instead I created a new subfolder on the external drive, and am now able to successfully launch LB / BB from the ext. drive. I restored from a previous backup in the older folder, and copied my Emulator / rom folder into the new, working folder. And everything is back in working order. Not sure what happened. But now I am moving over things like images, and the like to the new folder structure. 

Not sure what went wrong with the original folder structure, but will continue to move files from the old directory to the new one. I'll update my progress, as I complete. Maybe a corrupt file? Not sure, but at least I'm somewhat up... limping, but not down.


Last edit.

Ok. Well. I guess redownloading resolved it. Again, just redownloaded, restored from a previous backup, and moved folders (images, themes, emulators, roms, etc) from the old location to the new one, and everything is back up and running. Not sure what happened.


Game on!



Edited by Vcelestino
added trouble shooting steps/ resoluton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...