LaunchBox Community Forums

Which 8-Bit Computers Should I Spend My Time On?

demosthenes2010

Hello All,

I've collected every arcade platform I'd care to collect up to the TeknoParrot stuff.

I've collected several dozen consoles up to the PS2.

I've just never bothered to put much effort into the older computer platforms.  In your opinion, which ones must I absolutely include in my collection if I am building a collection that captures "the essence" of North American gaming history?  Meaning, I probably don't want to include the BBC Micro or Fujitsu machines but AM interested in including the Atari 8-Bit Computers, Commodore 64, Amigas, Apple IIs, annnnnd? What else? 

I'm hoping someone who is highly interested in this area can help me trim down the list to the essentials so I capture those machines that had a real impact from the 8-bit computer era.  I don't want to forget any major platforms that had real contributions but I also don't want to go overboard and grab every single platform ever just so I can have one game on one platform that was ported to something else I already have on my list anyway.  Thanks to all of the informed and helpful people who always pop up to give me advice!  ?

4 hours ago, demosthenes2010 said:

I probably don't want to include the BBC Micro or Fujitsu machines but AM interested in including the Atari 8-Bit Computers, Commodore 64, Amigas, Apple IIs, annnnnd? What else? 

Those plus the Apple IIgs and PowerMac are the only computers I included in my collection. 

I find there are just too many games with these platforms and I only keep a limited subset. I use a few different criteria to decide which to include.

1. I grew up with an Apple II so I only include games and apps that I had, were first written for it, or for comparison to other systems of the day. (Loderunner, Choplifter, Karateka, Music COnstruction Set, etc) All these games work great using MAME.
  2. For the other 8 bit systems, just a few of the more popular games and a few standard ones to compare across platforms. (Ballblazer, Summer Games) (Use Retroarch Vice for C64 and Alltirra for Atari 800.
  3. Amiga only a few games to show off the power of the system. Since I run BB in a cabinet, I only want games that can run with arcade controls, and trackball (mouse), so no games that need a lot of keyboard input. (P-Uae Retroarch core)
  4. Apple IIgs similar to Amiga, just to show off the hardware. (MAME)
  5. Mac OS - Just because I grew up with MAC OS 7-8 as well, include it for nostaglia. (not really any software, just to desktop.) (Use BasiliskII and Sheepshaver for various versions)

I use to collect every rom for every system, but the fact is I'll probably never touch so many of them, it wasn't worth the effort. A simpler collection just makes it more user friendly to me and people that use my cabinet.

If I have some friends over that ask about a specific game, it's easy and fast enough to add. Of course if you like to have massive collections, you can import them all and hide most until you "need" them.

• Thanks 1