LaunchBox Community Forums

Satellaview multi-week games and SRAM

joelkolb

I just started dabbling with emulating Nintendo Satellaview with RetroArch. There are some quirks to say the least. Many of the games had 4 episodes that were released one week after the other. I know for certain that the game 'BS The legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets' which had 4 weekly episodes, uses a common game save for all 4 parts. Typically, you would have to rename your .srm file to match the rom name of whichever week you are going to play so that your progress loads correctly.

I've come up with a method, using symlinks and clever file naming, to make it so that you never have to remember to manually go and rename your .srm file.

But there is something I am unsure of that I would like to ask the community about. Do any of the other, multi-week Satellaview games share game saves between weeks the was the Zelda game does? Games like BS F-Zero Grand Prix, BS Fire Emblem, BS Marvelous, BS Super Mario USA and Excitebike Bunbun Mario Battle, all have 4 weekly episodes. Do their game saves pass from one episode to the next?

If I can help it, I don't want to have to play through at least the first episode of each game before I can find out. I also don't want to spend time setting up my workaround if it doesn't actually accomplish anything, or even worse, screws something up for a particular game.

Hopefully someone here knows.

• 1 year later...