LaunchBox Community Forums

Map Xbox/PS Home button as pause menu button?

Madhead

I was wondering if this will ever be implemented into Launch Box and Big Box since it would be very handy. Also do you think a transparent pause menu would be possible? As in you can see the game paused in the background? It would just make it look that much better, though I know it's not important. And the ability to map the save/load game command to emulators that don't normally support it in the pause menu (like ePSXe, mapping Save State to F1 and Load State to F3, for example).

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Madhead said:

I was wondering if this will ever be implemented into Launch Box and Big Box since it would be very handy.

You already can do this in the LaunchBox or BigBox controller mappings settings in their options menu.

16 hours ago, Madhead said:

And the ability to map the save/load game command to emulators that don't normally support it in the pause menu (like ePSXe, mapping Save State to F1 and Load State to F3, for example).

If it's not auto-filled by LaunchBox, you can look it up and fill it in yourself. Go to: LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > ePSXe > Pause Screen tab > Save State tab. Enter:

Send {F1 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F1 up}

Do this for Load State as well.

Edited by Koroth

12 hours ago, Koroth said:

You already can do this in the LaunchBox or BigBox controller mappings settings in their options menu.

If it's not auto-filled by LaunchBox, you can look it up and fill it in yourself. Go to: LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > ePSXe > Pause Screen tab > Save State tab. Enter:

Send {F1 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F1 up}

Do this for Load State as well.

God is there anything this program can't do? Thanks a lot! So does send and sleep control exactly how long and what order the keys are pressed in I'm assuming?

Send {F1 down} means "press down and hold F1"

Sleep 50 means "wait 50 milliseconds"

Send {F1 up} means "release F1"

So of-course you can pick other keys or key combinations. Sometimes a program (or emulator) does not register a key press of 50 milliseconds. Then you can increase the length to say 100 ms. (Sleep 100).

More information about the AutoHotKey Send command: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/Send.htm

Edited by Koroth

• 2 weeks later...

Hey quick addition to this, if you already have hotkeys set up in Retroarch (I have my hotkey button as "select", then a number of commands for opening the menu, resetting the game, all kinds of things), So my save-state button in the pause menu wasn't working because I needed it to hit Control+F2 to save and Control+F4 to load state.  First, I was just holding control while pressing save, but then I found this thread....

So what I did was go into manage emulators, chose Retroarch, chose pause screen, then chose "Save States" and changed it to this:

; Retroarch saves state with F2 key by default
Send {Control down}
Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}
Send {Control up}

and then I chose "Load State" and changed it to this:

Send {Control down}
Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}
Send {Control up}

Then I hit OK and everything seems to be working from the pause screen now. Hope that helps if anyone else is running into this problem.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:59 PM, RegularRegs said:

Hey quick addition to this, if you already have hotkeys set up in Retroarch (I have my hotkey button as "select", then a number of commands for opening the menu, resetting the game, all kinds of things), So my save-state button in the pause menu wasn't working because I needed it to hit Control+F2 to save and Control+F4 to load state.  First, I was just holding control while pressing save, but then I found this thread....

So what I did was go into manage emulators, chose Retroarch, chose pause screen, then chose "Save States" and changed it to this:

Send {Control down}
Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}
Send {Control up}

and then I chose "Load State" and changed it to this:

Send {Control down}
Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}
Send {Control up}

Then I hit OK and everything seems to be working from the pause screen now. Hope that helps if anyone else is running into this problem.

Thanks, this was giving me a headache today. BTW, "Load State" should look like this, you were using F2 twice. :)

; Retroarch loads state with F4 key by default
Send {Control down}
Send {F4 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F4 up}
Send {Control up}

Let´s not forget the reset game option while we´re at it:

; Retroarch resets game with H key by default
Send {Control down}
Send {h down}
Sleep 50
Send {h up}