LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox restricting Retroarch to 720p resolution

robbforce

This was driving me crazy, but I've confirmed that BigBox is constraining Retroarch to a 720p resolution on a 4k TV and I'm not sure why. When I launch from BigBox, RetroArch detects a 720p resolution, so constrains the image to that. Even if I force the resolution in RetroArch to 1080p, it will be constrained to a 720p viewport and I'll only see the top left corner of the game. I decided to set up Playnite with Retroarch, using the same exact RA config that will match the desktop resolution and the games open (like a Game Boy rom) with a 4k resolution. I thought maybe it was because my Launchbox has updated configs over time, so I installed a fresh copy and imported some PSX games, then launched one using the RetroArch emu, same 720p problem. Oddly, if I launch a game from Launchbox in my remote desktop session, the games open fine to the set 1080p resolution.

Is there a script I haven't found, that Launchbox executes before RetroArch, that sets/changes the resolution to 720p? Could it be trying to detect the TV resolution and failing, so falling back to 720p?

3 minutes ago, robbforce said:

This was driving me crazy, but I've confirmed that BigBox is constraining Retroarch to a 720p resolution on a 4k TV and I'm not sure why. When I launch from BigBox, RetroArch detects a 720p resolution, so constrains the image to that. Even if I force the resolution in RetroArch to 1080p, it will be constrained to a 720p viewport and I'll only see the top left corner of the game. I decided to set up Playnite with Retroarch, using the same exact RA config that will match the desktop resolution and the games open (like a Game Boy rom) with a 4k resolution. I thought maybe it was because my Launchbox has updated configs over time, so I installed a fresh copy and imported some PSX games, then launched one using the RetroArch emu, same 720p problem. Oddly, if I launch a game from Launchbox in my remote desktop session, the games open fine to the set 1080p resolution.

Is there a script I haven't found, that Launchbox executes before RetroArch, that sets/changes the resolution to 720p? Could it be trying to detect the TV resolution and failing, so falling back to 720p?

This doesnt make any sense at all, Launcbox cannot control the resolution of external programs like that unless they can be via command-line, and you have specifically added said command. I have a 4K TV also and retroarch loads at 4K if that is what Windows is set at (although i actually have Windows set to 1440p so i can get 120hz, and Retroarch loads at 1440p just fine). You have something else on your system interfering i'm afraid.

Tell me about it, it makes no sense! I also found that if I drop to desktop on the 4k, open Launchbox desktop mode and launch a game in RetroArch, it's in 4k, but once again if I open BigBox and launch the same game, it's in 720p. A console window pops up for a split second with BigBox, just before launch and I have no idea what it's doing. This is all on a fresh install of Launchbox and I can't seem to find out what's causing the resolution change with BigBox.

Edit: I finally found it! For some reason the BigBox exe in the main folder had the High DPI override set for all users. From my remote desktop I changed compatibility properties for all users and unchecked the High DPI override box, which allowed BigBox to run at the desktop resolution.

Edited by robbforce