LaunchBox Community Forums

Making Clear Logos

UweBlab

Hello everyone,  Been having a blast with my recent arcade build and really am appreciating and enjoying the Launchbox/BigBox front-end.  My first Noob question:  what is everyone using to make a custom clear logo for any playlists where one doesn't exist?  I don't have Photoshop.  I tried the method of Powerpoint (to be able to put a picture fill in the text), putting the box-fill transparency to 100%, then copy/pasting to Paint to crop and save as a .png.  Tried it a couple different times and ways and as you can see below, I failed.  This seems like it should be fairly easy, but I can't find a straight answer.  I have several more playlists to do for things like Spinner games and Trackball games so any help/advice is much appreciated.

image0.jpeg

You could use GIMP, it's a free alternative to Paintshop and Photoshop and has plenty of features that can help you accomplish what you're after.

It's a bit confusing to use at first, if you've never used these kinds of programs before, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to help if you get stuck.

• Like 1

I'm using Paint.net for editing logos, works perfect for me, and it's free. I'm also using clear logos as my main display, and I'm creating them all the time for games that don't have clear logos in the database. I recently did around 500 of them for my C64 collection, which I posted in the forum here. 

You could also send some pictures, or tell what you want, and I could help you out. No wizard either here, but I was also learning by doing, once you try and learn 4-5 tricks which make your life easier, it's quite straight forward. 

One thing is for sure, if you're using an existing picture to start with, it has to be good quality, because creating a logo out of a 200x120 pixel picture ain't gonna work. 

• Like 1

Thanks much to you both for the great advice. 

I downloaded Gimp and followed this Link (for anyone else looking for directions) and I have it working well. It is a fairly simple thing, but I hadn't run into a quick tutorial on search and I'm beyond a total noob on graphic art.  Really appreciate your offer @DeadVoivod, as well,  to make them for me...that was mighty kind of you. 

• Like 1