LaunchBox Community Forums

Some MAME Games not working

vinylgamer

I'm kind of new at this but I have a question that baffles me. I have a large library of games in MAME and I found a handful that don't work. They load until about 95% then it bounces me back to the Launchbox Game Selection screen. Elevator Action & Moon Patrol are two in particular that I can think of. I thought at first it was my game files were corrupt, so I went online and downloaded these two games from another site. Same conclusion.... Is there something I should be doing that I'm not aware of? I downloaded the latest version of MAME. Please... any help would be greatly appreciated

4 minutes ago, vinylgamer said:

so I went online and downloaded these two games from another site.

This is likely your issue, you shouldnt be downloading random MAME roms from the internet. Do you know which romset version the roms you downloaded are from? This is important as MAME roms and the emulator are versioned, games are only guaranteed to work with the matching version. They may work with other versions of the emulator, but its a lottery at that point. You cant just download the newest version of the MAME emulator and throw any rom at it and have it work, if any file inside the game zip is not what MAME expects for that version from its own internal database, the game wont run. 

• Like 1