LaunchBox Community Forums

Background pic/vid per platform

Spacegoat

I know I can use a custom image as my Launchbox background, but that is for every platform.

Is there a setting where I can have a different pic and/or video for PS2 than I have for SNES?

I'm hoping it's a setting or a folder I can just save to. I can swap out remove/add a line or two of code if specifically instructed, but I'm guessing I'd have to change that fairly often when the app is updated.

I do have the lifetime license if that makes a difference.

You can have background/fanart per game or per platform.  Just have to place images in folders with appropriate naming. 

So for example to have a platform image for Atari 2600 you place image under ...\LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\Atari 2600\Fanart

At the per game level images for Atari 2600 are placed under ..\G:\LaunchBox\Images\Atari 2600\Fanart - Background with naming of the game or you can do it via the edit game menu and drop in like you do for cover boxes, logos etc.  

If nothing is under the game specific folder it fallsback to the platform art.  

Image per platform via edit menu

platform.thumb.JPG.a1052389a32fd57b4d402e2b662f337e.JPG

Image per game via game edit menu for game Adventure

Capture2.thumb.JPG.7e83642ebc61b9138c90104cfd112d4f.JPG

Edited by sundogak

I get the box art, and thought I had the platform level set up, but don't see/know where the option is to change the image per platform, and am not getting expected behavior across the board for platforms. Sometimes I get blown up box art, sometimes I get the custom image, regardless of what platform. Screenshot examples:

Image 001.png

Image 002.png

Image 003.png

Image 004.png

Image 005.png

Image 006.png

Image 007.png

Image 008.png

And then what?

There is no straight up "background" folder and literally anything else I try to browse to takes me to a dead end, where it still wants me to dive into an infinitely deeper folder such as the pic below, which is me in the "Amazon Background" folder, which is where the image I want for PS2 is stored, and where I tried pointing LB for a static background, regardless of platform, which after selected under tools/options/background/use custom image and will sometimes give me that image as the background, and sometimes uses any other random image I have stored for the game, whether it's a box front, back, screenshot, background, etc...

Image 010.png

1) The edit platform window has tabs and a media edit window at right like screen snap I showed at beginning. The tab "Folders" sets the DEFAULT path that LB looks for various media (screen snap with blue circle at left). For the moment...leave that alone to make things easy.  The snaps you have above is you are trying to change the default path to another location; hence the select folder button.  Again, leave that as is at this point.  To SELECT an image you have to use the far right pane. 

2) Media Type = Background-Fanart is what LB calls "background" or "fanart" in that it isn't always consistent naming.  

3) The easiest way to do what want for a platform is to:

• Right click on platform name and select edit
  • Click the small "Plus" sign in the right blue circle in image below next to the red delete button. 
  • Browse to wherever you have your image stored that you want and click on it.  
  • Hit Okay.  
  • After you see image in the window, right click on the image. Select the IMAGE TYPE of image and in this case you want FANART.  
  • Doublecheck it by clicking the small arrow until you get to "FANART"   You should see image you wanted/selected.  
  • This window at the right is one of few in LB that for whatever reason you cannot drag and drop onto the pane to copy.  
  • Any images you select like this are moved/stored in the default path indicated in the left pane under the folders tab (Fanart-Background)

4) Alternatively, you can copy the image you want to the default path shown in FOLDERS tab and as noted at first post.  But you have to use a naming convention that LB wants or recognizes. However, using step 3 above will take care of moving file and naming it how LB wants to see it.  

Capture.thumb.JPG.0b275ccab5eac2c25f497c9d0fdab5e8.JPG

Edited by sundogak
added step since you don't have fanart image yet

I figured I had to be making it more complicated than it is. I think I have it figured out now.

I appreciate your patience and help walking me through it. 

I purposely took a nonsense screenshot and pointed it to that, and was still getting inconsistencies, some games would stay with that image, some would not. 

It turned out that when trying to figure this out a long time ago, I had changed background priorities on some games, but not others, and the game was overriding the platform on those.

Thanks again for your help!

• Game On 1