LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch save state & load state controls keep breaking

stevaside

I've set the save state keys for R2 + Select & the load state for L2  + select on my gamepad.  This was working fine for a month or so, now all of a sudden I'm experiencing another issue like I did earlier this year.  Anytime I try to save a game using the key bind I set, I see a play/pause icon on the top right corner of the screen + popups on the bottom left that say "Waiting for client" "You have joined as player 1" & "null". Seems like it decided to map the controls I set for online play or something for whatever reason?? Earlier this year, something similar happened: After a few months of the save/load state keys I set working fine, out of nowhere anytime I pressed them some screen record feature & text appeared on the screen, freezing the game & not allowing me to play

I vaguely remember someone recommending me to delete the config file & restart, but that didn't work, just made the games video & audio stutter.

When going into the menu, the commands I set still appear & both times after scrolling through it I could not find any other setting that seemed to be using the same combintation so I just don't get it.  Getting pretty damn frustrating this becoming a regular occurence & having to reinstall & set up everything over & over. Can anyone possibly offer a solution or reason why this keeps happening?

Big thanks in advance

Edited by stevaside
mispell

This is not really an answer to your problems. But if you have that many problems with the controller configuration, wouldn't it be easier to use the LaunchBox / BigBox pause menu for saving and loading savestates? When using the pause menu you don't have to set button combinations for your controller. Just a button (combination) in the LaunchBox / BigBox controller automation settings to enter the pause menu. Of course the emulator hotkeys for saving and loading savestates also need to be configured in LaunchBox. But I belief, for RetroArch, they are pre-configured in LaunchBox.

Edited by Koroth

On 3/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, Koroth said:

This is not really an answer to your problems. But if you have that many problems with the controller configuration, wouldn't it be easier to use the LaunchBox / BigBox pause menu for saving and loading savestates? When using the pause menu you don't have to set button combinations for your controller. Just a button (combination) in the LaunchBox / BigBox controller automation settings to enter the pause menu. Of course the emulator hotkeys for saving and loading savestates also need to be configured in LaunchBox. But I belief, for RetroArch, they are pre-configured in LaunchBox.

Don't think I've tried the pause menu in Launchbox, how do you bring that up? Worth a shot it I can figure out I guess, but still don't understand why RetroArch keeps screwing things up for me, be nice to have the controls I set stay permanently once & for all

8 hours ago, stevaside said:

Don't think I've tried the pause menu in Launchbox, how do you bring that up?

First, in LaunchBox and BigBox, make sure controller automation is enabled and your controller device is selected.

352737085_Schermopname(150a).thumb.jpg.122484290d0c65ddc19414f291d7cb25.jpg

Then, in LaunchBox go to: Tools > Options > Game Controller > Mappings > Show Pause  Screen, and set a button (combination) to bring up the Pause screen. You need to configure some other buttons for navigation (up, down, left, right, select, back etc.) 

1759224003_Schermopname(150b).thumb.jpg.8f2d9f01821f1ca90c69e67e7f3b3629.jpg

Then go to: Tools > Options > Gameplay > Game Pause, and tick "Use Game Pause Screen".

539628834_Schermopname(150d).thumb.jpg.f9220a7b169731f4efd2861aff14094b.jpg

1234548757_Schermopname(150e).thumb.jpg.82eefc7905b82f4fba86270f69a9ac84.jpg

Then, Tools > Manage Emulators > RetroArch > Pause Screen > Save State / Load State tabs. Enter the emulator hotkeys for saving and loading savestates in an AutohotKey script style.

For example Save State:

Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}

Those hotkeys should be auto-filled for RetroArch, but for other emulator you may need to look them up.

Sometimes you also need to tick: "Forceful Pause Screen Activation" if the Pause Screen won't show, but this depends on the emulator. For RetroArch I have it ticked.

2030053847_Schermopname(152).thumb.jpg.2ee713c0b80472ab2214ff432b44c834.jpg

Then in BigBox go to: Options > Game Pause, and tick "Enable Pause Screen"

1625507188_Schermopname(152a).thumb.jpg.155d9f61d6f75c7aa2d241e634ab101c.jpg

Go to: Controller Mappings > Show Pause Screen, and enter a button (combination) for bringing up the Pause Menu. You need to configure some other buttons for navigation (up, down, left, right, select, back etc.) 

If you have setup everything correctly, you can now bring up the Pause Menu with a button (combination) during gameplay and select Save State or Load State.

1776497527_Schermopname(156).thumb.jpg.fff8d6d60bd5d8e9c9151cef9c01804e.jpg

Of course there is the option to download other Pause Themes from the forum (or from within BigBox) but otherwise the default pause theme is used.

Edited by Koroth
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 3:21 AM, Koroth said:

First, in LaunchBox and BigBox, make sure controller automation is enabled and your controller device is selected.

352737085_Schermopname(150a).thumb.jpg.122484290d0c65ddc19414f291d7cb25.jpg

Then, in LaunchBox go to: Tools > Options > Game Controller > Mappings > Show Pause  Screen, and set a button (combination) to bring up the Pause screen. You need to configure some other buttons for navigation (up, down, left, right, select, back etc.) 

1759224003_Schermopname(150b).thumb.jpg.8f2d9f01821f1ca90c69e67e7f3b3629.jpg

Then go to: Tools > Options > Gameplay > Game Pause, and tick "Use Game Pause Screen".

539628834_Schermopname(150d).thumb.jpg.f9220a7b169731f4efd2861aff14094b.jpg

1234548757_Schermopname(150e).thumb.jpg.82eefc7905b82f4fba86270f69a9ac84.jpg

Then, Tools > Manage Emulators > RetroArch > Pause Screen > Save State / Load State tabs. Enter the emulator hotkeys for saving and loading savestates in an AutohotKey script style.

For example Save State:

Send {F2 down}
Sleep 50
Send {F2 up}

Those hotkeys should be auto-filled for RetroArch, but for other emulator you may need to look them up.

Sometimes you also need to tick: "Forceful Pause Screen Activation" if the Pause Screen won't show, but this depends on the emulator. For RetroArch I have it ticked.

2030053847_Schermopname(152).thumb.jpg.2ee713c0b80472ab2214ff432b44c834.jpg

Then in BigBox go to: Options > Game Pause, and tick "Enable Pause Screen"

1625507188_Schermopname(152a).thumb.jpg.155d9f61d6f75c7aa2d241e634ab101c.jpg

Go to: Controller Mappings > Show Pause Screen, and enter a button (combination) for bringing up the Pause Menu. You need to configure some other buttons for navigation (up, down, left, right, select, back etc.) 

If you have setup everything correctly, you can now bring up the Pause Menu with a button (combination) during gameplay and select Save State or Load State.

1776497527_Schermopname(156).thumb.jpg.fff8d6d60bd5d8e9c9151cef9c01804e.jpg

Of course there is the option to download other Pause Themes from the forum (or from within BigBox) but otherwise the default pause theme is used.

Thanks alot & so sorry for such a late reply...Alot of crazy life stuff happening lately, I've been spending virtually no time on emulation or video games in general...Will def try this soon & let you know how it goes!