LaunchBox Community Forums

Nephew's birthday on the line. What am I doing well with Stable Controller ID's?

fettsvett201

Hello,

I am working on a pc for my nephew as a birthday present (and its due tomorrow). I have Launchbox and MAME running well for the most part, but am having problems with the joysticks (Four Mayflash F500 V2).

I know that one has to use Stable Controller IDs to make sure each joystick is seen correctly. While I can get this to (apparently) work for Joystick 1 and 2, Joysticks 3 and 4 will not cooperate. 

I am trying to follow the instructions from the mamedev site, but something is obviously wrong. 

Here is what I did so far. 

1. Plug in all four joysticks, run MAME in verbose mode and pipe it to test.txt.

2. Go into MAME>input>general and set up all four joysticks. Close MAME and make the file read only (default.cfg in the "cfg" folder)

3.Copy over "default.cfg" into the "ctrlr" folder, rename to "arcade.cfg" and remove Read Only

4. Using the information from step 1, insert the four "mapdevice" entries into "arcade.cfg" and save. (I did this as it is what the example looks like at the mamedev site.

5. Go into Mame.ini and change #Core Input Options > ctrlr to "arcade"

Mame version is .0229. OS is Windows 10. I have enclosed the files I talked about to see if anyone can spot the problem. 

Thanks,

Steve

default.cfg arcade.cfg mame.ini test.txt

19 minutes ago, fettsvett201 said:

I know that one has to use Stable Controller IDs to make sure each joystick is seen correctly. While I can get this to (apparently) work for Joystick 1 and 2, Joysticks 3 and 4 will not cooperate. 

What exactly is the issue you are having?

It appears from your test.txt output that MAME correctly remapped the controllers in the order you specified in arcade.cfg.

WELP. 

So to test my multiple joysticks. I was playing Alien vs Predator as its near the top of my playlist and lists three players. 

But I could not get the third joystick to work at all. I was tearing out my hair as some games seemed to work. 

Turns out there is a setting where you have to enable three players. Everything is looking better. Thanks for the reply though. 

Steve