LaunchBox Community Forums

setting resolution and refresh rate manually

morgan999

Hi, Is there any way to force bigbox to use a specific resolution and/or refresh rate? I have changed the refresh rate option within the menu, but it doesnt do anything on my 144hz monitor? I cannot get it to be smooth unless I open it on a 60hz monitor? I dont want to change my main monitor to 60hz as I use it for other games. Maybe even a script to launch bigbox and set the new resolution / refresh rate??? many thanks for any help offered 

Big Box uses a back end called WPF. One important thing to understand about that is that WPF is not designed like a video game. It doesn't render every "frame" or at a predefined tick rate. It only renders frames when a change in the layout has occurred that requires us to re-render the screen. WPF by default should try and match the active monitors resolution and refresh rate. The setting you set in Big Box options sets the tick rate on animations used in Big Box so that you can make them update at the same rate as your monitor to provide smoother animations. It's important to note that animations will TRY and update at that rate, but if it takes your CPU longer than that rate to calculate all the new positions needed during that animation you COULD start to see stuttering that you wouldn't see at a lower setting. It is also important to note that the setting is NOT applied to videos. If the video is a 60hz video it WILL play at that rate and not the refresh rate you set in Big Box.

To my knowledge no. If you are seeing stuttering thought you could turn down the setting in the options which will make the animations update less often which I would think would make them all appear smoother. I admit though that I'm not real sure what you are experiencing that you believe to be caused by the refresh rate.

• 5 months later...