LaunchBox Community Forums

Questions about the standard and premium versions

Smoke Me a Kipper

I’m thinking of upgrading to the premium version of Launchbox soon as I really want controller support and access to some of those cool themes but in the meantime I had a couple of questions:

Standard Version:

1)I’ve noticed there is an option to set view mode to Steam Banners, however when I do this none of my current games have them and there doesn’t seem to be an option to download them through Launchbox. Is this option just for Steam games?

2)Is there anyway to force box art to all be the same size? For the most part everything that is automatically downloaded matches up but then you get the odd box art that is bigger or smaller than the rest which ruins the whole aesthetic (some examples include Double Dragon and Tetris for the NES and Wario Land for the GB). 

3)Can I set the viewing size for each of my systems? Some I have loads of games for and so it looks good having smaller box art but then some I only have 1-2 games and so I’d like them to look bigger. I’m only seeing the slider at the bottom that just changes the size for everything.

Premium Questions:

1)If I upgrade to Big Box will everything I’ve setup so far transfer over or is Big Box treated as it’s own separate application?

2)Im looking to setup a very specific theme, I basically want one view where I can see all my games together using Steam Banners (pretty much exactly how Steam Big Picture looks) and then I want to be able to switch to the individual systems with their standard box art and a preview video playing for each game. I know the latter is possible but is the former and is it possible to switch back and forth like that?

Is it possible for someone to post a picture of the grid view I’m after?

1 hour ago, Smoke Me a Kipper said:

I’m thinking of upgrading to the premium version of Launchbox soon as I really want controller support and access to some of those cool themes but in the meantime I had a couple of questions:

Standard Version:

1)I’ve noticed there is an option to set view mode to Steam Banners, however when I do this none of my current games have them and there doesn’t seem to be an option to download them through Launchbox. Is this option just for Steam games?

2)Is there anyway to force box art to all be the same size? For the most part everything that is automatically downloaded matches up but then you get the odd box art that is bigger or smaller than the rest which ruins the whole aesthetic (some examples include Double Dragon and Tetris for the NES and Wario Land for the GB). 

3)Can I set the viewing size for each of my systems? Some I have loads of games for and so it looks good having smaller box art but then some I only have 1-2 games and so I’d like them to look bigger. I’m only seeing the slider at the bottom that just changes the size for everything.

Premium Questions:

1)If I upgrade to Big Box will everything I’ve setup so far transfer over or is Big Box treated as it’s own separate application?

2)Im looking to setup a very specific theme, I basically want one view where I can see all my games together using Steam Banners (pretty much exactly how Steam Big Picture looks) and then I want to be able to switch to the individual systems with their standard box art and a preview video playing for each game. I know the latter is possible but is the former and is it possible to switch back and forth like that?

Is it possible for someone to post a picture of the grid view I’m after?

1) No, steam banners are for steam and we pull them directly from steam itself when you import your Steam games. There is another image type of just "Banners" that are used for other systems, but coverage is patchy at best. Games from back in the day simply didnt usually have any artwork in those dimensions.

2) No, image size is based on image resolution.

3) No, thats a all or nothing slider.

Premium.

1) Everything carries over, it is a different .exe, but the same data files and images are used.

3) I dont believe any themes like that exist or if what you want is actually possible, that would be a question for one of our users who are familiar with the theming engine, if it is possible it would need to be created from scratch though im guessing.

"i'll be back for breakfast" ?